Cibola, was supposed to be my backup!

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a Cibola from Joe a couple of weeks ago as a "backup" for my Deleon. Well, I haven't used my D in two weeks. Its way faster than my Deleon, less info to process, I airtested a nickel and put a "sticky" right before it would disc out and just thumb my way through the dial and just digging those tabs I think I will find that elusive gold ring a little quicker. Looking at the smears and numbers on my Deleon screen was driving me a little nuts, don't get me wrong that Deleon is awesome! Nothing like getting that 95! I think I've been converted to a beep and dig guy, did I just type that??

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Tell you what, jarhead, there is something to beep and dig detecting! I have some of the most high end TID machines out there and there is nothing like cutting through it all and just digging repeatable signals. I end up using my Tejon and Silver Umax more than the rest. Like you said, the others are good detectors - but sometimes they stress me out with info overload. I don't have the self control to not rely on the meter. If I don't have a meter to look at, I dont get a chance to second guess myself.

Ian

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep/Dig is where it's at! :thumbsup:

I'd rather spend my time finding Awesome sites than scratching my head over numbers...

:wink:

Welcome to the fold.

-Buckle

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my cibola now after finding a few rings and 2 where gold and 1 gold braclet i was worried at first but after almost peeing in my pants on my first gold ring.. i stood up and hugged my cibola

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir those TID detectors drive me crazy numbers jumping all over and not telling you anything right. I got a Sovereign love it go by tone only. and want to get a Cibola or Golden U Max...............................==Jim_K==

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always suggested to the newbies that they put duct tape over the meter and learn the sounds. With numbers or icons jumping around it is very easy to miss a great target.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Glad you are liking the Cibola! I have found over the years that I need about four different detectors to cover my hunting needs. Sometimes TID fills the bill, sometimes not. Of course a Water Machine for the summer. I also have a "Two Box" for those deep larger relics. I hate to "make do" when I'm detecting! I want the proper detector for what I'm doing. I'm happy that you are enjoying the Cibola, it's a good machine,a great "Beep and Dig"! Joe

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I always suggested to the newbies that they put duct tape over the meter and learn the sounds. With numbers or icons jumping around it is very easy to miss a great target.

Yep. A 4 inch piece of 3/4 inch masking tape turns my DeLeon into a beep and dig machine. But, since the DeLeon paints all of the targets in each sweep (even those discriminated out) I usually like to monitor the meter in places that should have a good cross-section of goodies. Plus, a quick glance at the meter can define a borderline tone. But, to each his (or her) own. That's part of the "spice" of THing. :thumbsup:

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Glad to find this thread. I have been a meter guy for years, and never have owned a "beep and dig" machine. After a lot of reading on here, I believe I have become too reliant on the meter and have gotten lazy. I am now looking for a Tesoro Tejon and perhaps a Silver uMax. Might have to check out this Cibola now too :wink:

While my White's MXT is an impressive machine, that thing is killing my shoulder. :'(
Dan

rufus3898

Aug 30, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I bought a Cibola because I kept believing what the TID on my Garrett Ace was telling me. After I started digging all signals man did the finds increase! With the new Cibola I wont be second guessing so much! All the best to you and your Cibola!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I learned on a deleon and now have the Cortes but also find myself listening more than looking at that TID. I do like the sum feature on the Cortes because it is multi tone. I'm getting in a habit of listening, when it sounds good I push it over to sum and listen again for the tone. Sometimes it will show a "95" but in sum the tone isn't high so I know its TID is probably wrong. A coin will give a distinct almost piercing beep. It's got me interested in getting a detector with out TID now. Thanks for the post, it's got me thinking.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
I learned the hard way about paying too much attention to a meter and being too lazy to dig a good sounding signal. My buddy and I was in a great yard, I was using an XLT and he was using a Silver Saber. I had gotten several good sounding hits and dug them, but they were old corroded jar lids. I noticed they all read the same number on the meter so the next signal I got was the same number. Using my new knowledge of watching the meter, I smiled to myself and went on my merry way, content in the knowledge that I hadn't wasted my valuable time digging another lid. Well, my buddy comes along with his "beep & dig" and hits the same signal I had just passed up. Fast forward about 1 minute.....I'm standing there with a sick feeling in my stomach looking at the EAGLE BREAST PLATE that I had passed up. :o :'( Needless to say, if it sounds good, I dig it now.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
EddieR said:
I learned the hard way about paying too much attention to a meter and being too lazy to dig a good sounding signal. My buddy and I was in a great yard, I was using an XLT and he was using a Silver Saber. I had gotten several good sounding hits and dug them, but they were old corroded jar lids. I noticed they all read the same number on the meter so the next signal I got was the same number. Using my new knowledge of watching the meter, I smiled to myself and went on my merry way, content in the knowledge that I hadn't wasted my valuable time digging another lid. Well, my buddy comes along with his "beep & dig" and hits the same signal I had just passed up. Fast forward about 1 minute.....I'm standing there with a sick feeling in my stomach looking at the EAGLE BREAST PLATE that I had passed up. :o :'( Needless to say, if it sounds good, I dig it now.
While I am sure you were not happy at this experience, I do thank you for sharing. This is exactly why I am thinking real hard about getting a "beep & dig" machine.
Thanks again.
Dan

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Eddie, it could've been worse, it could've been a jar lid with a jar attached to it, with a bunch of goodies in it, aww man I would've been sick for you.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 4 years ago I bought a cibola as a backup machine .I used a CZ5 as my main battle ax . After a couple of weeks using both machines I put the CZ5 in the closet. The cibola was just a more straight forward machine and it got about the same depth with out digging to china for rusty nails .Both are fantastic machines but I did better with the cibola.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do alot of field/relic hunting and the Cibola is a MONSTER! With the threshold turned up halfway threw the red and sensitivity set on 10, discrimination right on iron, that baby will find coins and relics like there's no tomorrow! Who needs a stinking visual display?

5 out of 5 stars!!!!!!!!!

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i but a higher end machine i would cover the screen. i find my self getting lazy with the cibola over some signals..I need to keep digging every beep even if i know its a tin can

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one of those people that owned allot of detectors.
Those screens make you question to much. They like to bounce around and anything deep is never accurate.
Never mind I hunt places that are loaded with trash so the screen just keeps bouncing all around unless it is a shallow target.
My best and most finds have been with a cheap tesoro and you know when you hit silver by the warm tone.
For salt thou I use a minelab.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions