Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many towns have a square, ours has a triangle. It's a trangular shaped grassy area with a small stage and a statue of our town's founder. It is often the site of concerts, political speeches, etc and has been since 1909. I had hunted it before in hopes of finding silver but with little success. At present the triangle is being renovated along with the street being restored to its original brick pavement. Right now they have everything tore up and bare earth exposed so I gave it a try. I found Some kind of potmetal T-handle enscribed Northeast Shore Labs Peabody Mass, a couple of what's its, a tent grommet, a well rusted hair beret, a key, 4 clad pennies, two wheat cents dated 1951 and 1936, a clad dime, a silver Merc dime dated 1943, what looks like the cartridge follower from a rifle (bent up), and a lead seal of some type. This is only my second silver coin since I started mding two and a half years ago! Silver coins are scarce in my area of the country. Well, here have a look. Monty

Attachments

• Triangle Renovation 002 copy.jpg
    Triangle Renovation 002 copy.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 499
  • Triangle Renovation 001.jpg
    Triangle Renovation 001.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 491
  • Triangle Renovation 003.jpg
    Triangle Renovation 003.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
WTG on finding that silver!I know what you mean about silver being scarce.Glad you found some.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Nice going, Monty!
Love those mercs :)
Are you going back to this site?
Good luck!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably won't get to go back before they finish the project next week. Sigh. :'( Monty.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Monty said:
Probably won't get to go back before they finish the project next week. Sigh. :'( Monty.

Lousy timing with the hunting season. Any other time, the city (in general) takes it's time on a project. Hopefully they'll slow down till spring.

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Great find on the silver. I hit a couple of parks in the Norman area, only finds were clad around the area the kids play. I also hit a park in Noble and Little Axe and I think those were land fills and dumps before the were made into parks after they finshed dumping the concret and pavement. I did find a 1935 New Mexico Emergany School Tax Token and that is about it. I missed the opportunity to MD the area when the were making the area for the James Gardner statue, right by the train station in Norman. MD in Oklahoma is a real challange. Best of luck on finding more silver.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good deal. :) Sorry to hear of your silver shortage out there. I know you will not be very sympathetic to my Large Cent shortage. ::)

Sometimes I just have to be content with finding Clad and or wheat pennies.

Good luck.

Mirage

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a lot of silver there but just too deep to dig, especially when the lawn is manicured so well. If this dime hadn't been where they had scraped a lot of the top soil off it would be about 8 or 9 inches down easily. They are tearing the football stadium down starting next week and are going to build a new one. I can't guess how old it is. My mom told me it was old when she graduated in 1942. You can bet I'll be lurking and checking close to see if I can get a shot at it. Interesting enough I didn't find anything under the street where they removed the paving. I think I recall it was repaved in 1956 when they pulled the old trolly tracks out. Monty

M

mchamby

Hi Monty, glad you found some silver, it looks to be in pretty good shape! Hope you do get a second chance to detect the park. ;)
HH
Mchamby

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, have you tried scanning the alley way or easements behind those old buildings. Any place that a 'trianlge' public square is bound to have open areas behind them with sidewalks and....and....and.....GRASS!!!!

Laater...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread