Civil War belt buckle found in central California?

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few weeks ago I met some of the leaders at an older church that dates from the early 1900s. The church is in central California in the downtown area of a city that was founded in 1872. I got the ok to detect the property and was finally able to get a few free minutes to hunt the grassy area in the front and on one side of the main building.

About three feet from the base of a large pine tree and about five to six inches deep I found this belt buckle. I recognize the style as a Civil War era, U.S. Army eagle sword belt buckle. It’s clearly damaged on the side the belt is affixed to the buckle, it has some caked on dirt that I’m having difficulty removing, and overall it’s in poor shape. There is also an odd rounded piece of metal that is protruding from one corner. However, I did nick it with my digger on the back which exposed the base metal which appears to be brass.

So what I don’t know is whether or not it’s an old reproduction or if it’s an authentic period piece that somehow made it’s way out to California, possibly as a souvenir or keepsake, long after the Civil War had ended.

I read a prior thread here on Treasurenet where another member found a nearly identical belt buckle. TheCannonballGuy gave some very good information on that buckle. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/297965-belt-plate-id-help-needed.html

Regardless of the authenticity of what I found, it’s not something that I would have expected to come out of California soil. This is what makes our hobby fun!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521425732.033818.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521425750.433465.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521425764.600715.jpg

Upvote 32

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert but I thought that type of belt plate predated the Civil War. Looks more like war of 1812 to me

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevermind, I just checked and that is Civil War era

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never really thought about it, but that makes sense. Once the war was over there were a lot of unemployed soldiers. A number of them probably made their way out to California to join in the gold rush.

Gold rush was 1848-55. Civil war was 1861-65. Just wanted to set those dates straight.

Cheers,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread