Civil war belt buckle found in WA state

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey everybody, went out with my buddy vanoldschool today and what a day it was. It was slow going all day as we were trying to get creative and hunt some different spots. We were having absolutely no luck at all when I finally said let's go to an old homestead that I know about and give it a shot since we only had about an hour left. I've managed some old silver out of this place along with some nice jewelry in the past so we were hoping to get at least one nice coin out of there. I wasn't doing to good and Van had managed a 1924 wheatie. Then I hear him call out and see him doing the "happy dance" as he finds his first ever buffalo nickle, 193?. Then less than a minute later I get a strong signal on my SE, I pop out the plug and an oval shaped object flips out. I look at for a second and notice a couple of hoops on the back flip it over and see US. Let me tell you I almost pooped my pants. I yell at Van to come over and I put it in his hands. We both start screaming and dancing around. I'm still in shock. I see all the posts the guys back east make with the spectacular finds they make from the civil war and now I get to join the club. I haven't cleaned it yet, kind of scared to touch it. Any ideas on cleaning are appreciated. Thanks for reading and looking. HH

Attachments

• Toms Pics 056.jpg
    Toms Pics 056.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,481
  • Toms Pics 057.jpg
    Toms Pics 057.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Toms Pics 058.jpg
    Toms Pics 058.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,331
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty! :thumbsup:
Excellent find and in great condition too.
Congrats & hopefully we'll see it up on the banner train above.
-MM-

OP
OP
tomharris76

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
vayank54 said:
Wow that is a nice plate. you don't dig them like that very often anymore. Are the hooks brass? Most boxplates have iron hooks but those are so nice they look like they might be brass. I've dug about 500 plates and only dug half of a box plate with brass hooks. The boxplates with brass hooks were supposed to have been issued to the 1st through 10th Ohio regiments. I'm not sure how accurate that is though. I wouldn't clean it anymore. It looks good. Great Find.
Thanks, I don't think they are made of brass. It's hard to tell. I'm not cleaning it anymore, I just used some hot water and lightly brushed the dirt away with my finger.

OP
OP
tomharris76

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. I'm still pretty stoaked. I can't wait to get back to that spot and see what else I can dig up.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! Congratulations...........Hogge :headbang:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Congratulations Tomharris!!!!! GREAT find on that buckle!

Were you in a relic mode or just digging on all nulls or ?????
Also have an SE and am really enjoying same. Had it about 3 months.

BW

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearkiller1030 said:
Awesome man wish I could have been there to see that and to see that van guy since he never comes over here anymore. Congrats and BANNER for sure especially for Washington State. :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Find us sOME spots!!

OP
OP
tomharris76

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
bravowhiskey said:
Congratulations Tomharris!!!!! GREAT find on that buckle!

Were you in a relic mode or just digging on all nulls or ?????
Also have an SE and am really enjoying same. Had it about 3 months.

BW
I was mostly looking for coins. I have it programed with my own settings. In the place I was hunting I was digging every signal though. I love the SE, I don't use the stock coil either. I bought a big SEF coil from Kellyco and use that all the time. The buckle came up reading like it was a quarter. A good quarter usually reads out as 00-28 or 00-29. This was 01-29 and sounded very solid. It had been raining all day so that probably helped out a lot.

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big CONGRATS ya dog. That is one of the coolest finds I have seen in this state. Ya got me beat for any of my finds in Washington. WTG.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful piece of history! congrats on banner!

OP
OP
tomharris76

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
JuJu said:
Big CONGRATS ya dog. That is one of the coolest finds I have seen in this state. Ya got me beat for any of my finds in Washington. WTG.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu
Your one of the first guys I thought of when I found it. I knew you'd get a kick out of this one. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread