Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this. I'm at a park in Minneapolis. I'm shaking in confusion and awe!

15309824089358372460091748617429.jpg

15309825462017969058829718828587.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 37

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I was around during the CW Centennial. My mom and dad reenacted a lot of the battles, camps, etc. I can remember quite well what they had and they actually used a lot of original CW items then, and even later in the 70's. I remember trying to find something to buy at the suttlers' tents. The buckles that were made for the centennial were NOTHING like yours. I think yours was probably used way back when, maybe pre CW, but I can't find an exact match. It could be a local militia pre war style, and if so, could be hard to pin down. KEEP IT~

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I was around during the CW Centennial. My mom and dad reenacted a lot of the battles, camps, etc. I can remember quite well what they had and they actually used a lot of original CW items then, and even later in the 70's. I remember trying to find something to buy at the suttlers' tents. The buckles that were made for the centennial were NOTHING like yours. I think yours was probably used way back when, maybe pre CW, but I can't find an exact match. It could be a local militia pre war style, and if so, could be hard to pin down. KEEP IT~

Thanks for sharing. Must be fond memories!

I posted these pictures at a civil war message board. I'll keep you posted. And thanks for researching.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find! :occasion14:

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find either way, especially where you are located. I would have to say that is a reproduction based on the edges being incorrect and lack of correct attachments on the backside. The size also looks off when looking in the photo of it in your hand. Baby US plates were made but the edges still don't match. I have a few of these and there were early war versions and late war versions but the edges didn't change much. If this were a box plate you would likely see iron oxidation on the back. I am not an expert but do concentrate mostly on civil war relics. Maybe it is one of the rarest US plates ever! Congrats either way!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the CW relic collectors will chime in. Your experts are here. Give it time! Welcome

DigginNorthernVa

Jul 9, 2018
Fairfax Station, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue and Gray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no expert, but I have seen and dug plenty of US plates and have never seen that style before. Searched for a few minutes and found that it appears to be a reproduction buckle made in the 1960s or later. I will post a link to the image if I can figure it out how to do it. I'm a bit technically challenged.:icon_scratch:http://www.worthpoint/worthopedia/vintage-antique-military-civil-war-us-belt-buckle
The .com was out of your link. Here is the corrected link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-antique-military-civil-war-us-belt-buckle
Good find on identifying it positively. I was afraid it was a repo, cause I had never seen a Civil War era plate or even up through the Indian war era anything close to that.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a back like that. I'm afraid to say that the link posted by Diggin seems spot on.

Here's the one I found a few years ago with the hooks I'm accustomed to seeing on the back.

Attachments

• 2012-04-27_18-09-24_387.jpg
    2012-04-27_18-09-24_387.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 47

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the buckles my son has found are solid brass. pewter is usually a repo. I hope yours is real, tho

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thst is sweeeeet you earned her good job

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The .com was out of your link. Here is the corrected link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-antique-military-civil-war-us-belt-buckle
Good find on identifying it positively. I was afraid it was a repo, cause I had never seen a Civil War era plate or even up through the Indian war era anything close to that.

I refuse to believe this!!!

:tongue3:

Shucks. Oh well. Thank you, DigginNorthernVa for your research. Thought I might have something special! After the first wave of responses from the great members here, I figured I either had something really rare, at a 2% chance, or a replica, with a 98% chance.

The Indian Wars suggestion had me intrigued, and that was my hope.

I love this forum! Thanks for all your guy's help.

Last edited:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a cool find. You never know, might be an old repro...

DigginNorthernVa

Jul 9, 2018
Fairfax Station, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue and Gray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand the disappointment, Capone, but it's still a great find. There may be a little history to the buckle. Maybe you can research and find out if there was a reenactment in that park for the Civil War Centennial back in the early to mid 1960s. Maybe it was lost during that event. I have been in your shoes on more than one occasion only to have my hopes dashed. You dug it and there is a story to tell behind it.:icon_thumleft:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, don't know how I would react with something like that coming out of the hole,, but I sure would like to find out.
Congratulations.

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
Cool Find! - The buckle will display great! The plate is still a historical
item being associated with the Civil War Centennial.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread