Civil War Bonanza, brass, lead and Iron.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
After an extremely busy summer, I finally prioritized a weekend to go digging. My brother Scott and I hit an old military camp site and were able to locate a nice little trash/burn pit with a good variety of finds. After striking out on a couple of other spots, we decided to take a digging break and do some shooting. While setting up a can, Scott eyeballed a GS eagle kepi button under a bush. He kicked away the dirt and another came to light. Experience told us that uniforms were likely burned there and further exploration gave us confirmation. The spot was overrun with square nails, which would have made detecting difficult and likely prevented surface hunters from locating any of the nice brass. The site gave up a handful of eagle buttons including a Cavalry cuff, which would have been heavily gilted if not for the fire. A perfect "B" came to light which was a nice surprise. Kepi Insignias are one of my favorite Civil War finds and are somewhat more personal as they designated belonging to a particular company. The find of the hunt was likely the Civil War store token which reads Standingers 116 Broadway, NY with an 1863 date on the reverse. I have not researched the token much so any additional information would be welcome. The perils involved in its journey west might be book worthy, however all we can do is imagine the adventures of its carrier. Other interesting finds included a set of "multi purpose gunners pincers" (according to Crouch), burnt hardee pin, burnt crossed sabres, powder flask top and what looks to me to be a scalpel blade and broken bone handle. Overall a great time and much needed break for responsibility. The small brass piece with the hole is a mystery find as well if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for looking and good luck out there.

Attachments

• evan23.jpg
    evan23.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 168
  • evan20.jpg
    evan20.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 144
  • evan21.jpg
    evan21.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 153
  • evan22.jpg
    evan22.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 150
  • evan24.jpg
    evan24.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 147
  • evan27.jpg
    evan27.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 15

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap that is a lot of finds for one hunt cant even imagine Great job!!!Thanks for sharing your finds and story!!!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! That's definitely a virgin spot. I'd spend every free second I had there. Congrats!

HH RN

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Evan, you always find some great brass and the token is super cool. Thank goodness eagle-eye Scott had his eyes peeled. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Man Evan, you always find some great brass and the token is super cool. Thank goodness eagle-eye Scott had his eyes peeled. Thanks for sharing

Thanks Joey,
I definitely work for it, but it's worth it. If I can't dig colonial relics, at least I can dig quality civil war brass. Hope to dig with you this winter.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt Evan :thumbsup: I'd love to see those "multi purpose gunners pincers" after electrolysis. They don't look too pitted and I wouldn't be surprised if they pivoted on the pin after being zapped. ha Those Kepi Insignias are my favorite... very personal. I'm going to guess after the kepi button was eyeballed, you guys never got around to do any shooting. ha Looking forward to the next post and hope you can get back out soon.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul Evan, love that token and the company letter.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you take a break and find a hoard of uniforms and buttons. I take a break, and just find chiggers and ticks! Congrats on some amazing finds!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great CW Hunt , Thanks for the Pictures & Text.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The pincers are in the tank now Brad. I will send you a pic as soon as they are finished. I think they will turn out pretty nice, little pitting like you said. Thanks for the comments.
-Evan[
QUOTE=OutdoorAdv;5119159]Awesome hunt Evan :thumbsup: I'd love to see those "multi purpose gunners pincers" after electrolysis. They don't look too pitted and I wouldn't be surprised if they pivoted on the pin after being zapped. ha Those Kepi Insignias are my favorite... very personal. I'm going to guess after the kepi button was eyeballed, you guys never got around to do any shooting. ha Looking forward to the next post and hope you can get back out soon.[/QUOTE]

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats man, that's a great bunch of CW relics. I'd be camping there.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I see you guys came home with another nice haul of relics including a couple of cool finds. Love that token and hope you can ID it, and please post when you do. I know those "newer" finds have you fired up for digging in the colonial fields this winter.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HELLUVA NICE BUNCH OF CW FINDS.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I see you guys came home with another nice haul of relics including a couple of cool finds. Love that token and hope you can ID it, and please post when you do. I know those "newer" finds have you fired up for digging in the colonial fields this winter.

You said it Bill, I'm ready for my yearly flat button. Can't wait to visit for some Virginia ham, grits and a fresh cut colonial field. Hope your season starts strong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread