Civil War Bullet ID?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bullet today in Virginia today and I've never seen another one quite like it before. It appears to be about 54 caliber and has a swaged base with what appears to be a letter T in the base. I believe it was shot or carved on. Any ideas what it is?

Bullet1.jpg

Bullet2.jpg

there are plenty of gun nuts... sorry, enthusiasts on youtube... hit up one of them. given how it does not look metal (as in something a detector would pick up i am going to side on carving. the answer may lie in the location it was found.

Upvote 0
It's made of lead Snapler, and I did find it with the detector. Thank you for your suggestions.

Upvote 0
It is a .58-caliber "six-arm swaged" yankee minie bullet. There is no .54 version of that bullet. The actual correct terminology is "Machine Pressed & Turned" which means a bullet-making machine compressed a slug of lead into a bullet shape, and the machine then lathe-cut the body grooves into the bullet's exterior. Yes, a little of your bullet's original length has been carved off of its base. No such bullets were manufactured with a letter T stamped into the base, so what you are seeing must be an accidental result of the swaging/lathing process, or was done by the person who carved on your bullet..

Upvote 0
Thank you Cannon ball guy, I appreciate the ID.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back