Civil War Bullet?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found thiis bullet at old home site few days ago. The bullet is lead, it has the lead patina that has been in the ground for some time, it has two rings and has a hollow area just below the rings. the bullet was never fired.

I think it is 32 cal Civil War, what is your thoughts. Is it Civil War or Post Civil War.

IMG_2959.JPG

Upvote 4

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post civil war. The tiny ridges in the grooves didn't show up until around 1870.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for comments I was hoping Civil War, but still cool find. There was a Civil War battle about mile from where the bullet was found. I have found pieces of cast iron pots, glass and etc. around the home site site. Really enjoy finding sites like this and research to locate site like this.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most battle sites in this country were hunted on long before and long after any battles occurred and many more bullets have been fired for hunting or target practice than in battle. All old military guns end up being sold as "army surplus" as they become outdated and are then used for hunting and target practice. Hence we end up with thousands and thousands of bullets in the ground with a minority being actually used in any war. Most of what we find are civilian use bullets, even if they are CW style bullets fired from CW era rifles used for hunting. Muzzle loading guns were used in this country into the early 1900s and later in some areas. Anytime you see the "cannelures", little lines inside the grooves it is a more modern bullet that had a cartridge case, muzzle loading bullets never had the cannelure marks. Old bullets are one of the most common things we find in the ground, I melt them down for fishing sinkers or new muzzle loader round or minie balls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread