Civil War Bullets

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220 and Minelab X-Terra-70
Thought I would post a few picks of civil war bullets I have found. Most of the bullets were found in the Richmond, Va area (Cold Harbor, Seven Pines, Fair Oaks, Gains Mill and Malvern Hill Battle sites)

The top row are all two ringers
The second row is 69 cal
The rest are 54 and 59 Cal, a number of no ring bullets, one pulled 58 cal.
two carved bullets and a couple damaged. TomB

Attachments

• cw bullet collection 002.jpg
    cw bullet collection 002.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,537
  • cw bullet collection 004.jpg
    cw bullet collection 004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,038
  • cw bullet collection 005.jpg
    cw bullet collection 005.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 966
  • cw bullet collection 006.jpg
    cw bullet collection 006.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 951
  • cw bullet collection 007.jpg
    cw bullet collection 007.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 946

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Very nice collection!

Where did you learn to identify your bullets? I am trying to learn how to indentify bullets better so I will understand the battle lines better.
Also what are the two smooth cylinder looking bullets in the upper right hand corner? I have seen those before but thought they were more modern.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice collection of bullets. I would love to hunt the Seven Pines area as that is where my g-g- grandfather fell fighting with the 6th Ala.
Mike

OP
OP
TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
SwampHunter said:
Very nice collection!

Where did you learn to identify your bullets? I am trying to learn how to indentify bullets better so I will understand the battle lines better.
Also what are the two smooth cylinder looking bullets in the upper right hand corner? I have seen those before but thought they were more modern.

Swamphunter...check out www.cwbullets.com..All the bullets on the top row from right to left are referred to as no-ringers. You will see them in web site and they are cw

OP
OP
TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
brnn53 said:
Nice collection of bullets. I would love to hunt the Seven Pines area as that is where my g-g- grandfather fell fighting with the 6th Ala.
Mike

Mike....I was in Fair Oaks and Seven pines (now Highlandsprings and Sandston) about 4 weeks ago. Every thing is so developed, there are few places left to hunt. Three miles up Rt 156, Cold Harbor area, is the same. So very sad.

DCMDer

Oct 2, 2007
Washington DC
Tom,

Real nice collection of bullets. Are you finding fired bullets along with the dropped and pulled bullets. Any buttons. With all those drops there must be some brass at those sites. Keep it up.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice pile of lead TomB....Every one is a piece of history....Nice pic and Congrat's!!

RelicHunterBobNH

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2008
New Hampshire - Milford Area
Detector(s) used
DFX
SwampHunter said:
Very nice collection!

Where did you learn to identify your bullets? I am trying to learn how to identify bullets better so I will understand the battle lines better.

A good book to get is "CIVIL WAR PROJECTILES II - Small Arms & Field Artillery with supplement" By McKee & Mason, Jr.. A smaller less expensive book is "A Handbook of Civil War Bullets & cartridges" by James E. Thomas & Dean S. Thomas. You can also look at http://civilwarprojectiles.com.

HH

Bob K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread