Civil War Cache / Marker

OP
OP
S

Slim30

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2011
Kentucky Kache, thanks for clarifying for me. That is exactly what I meant with the title.

It is in Missouri and the area that I am in saw a lot of CW activity. Some mini-balls and small metal pieces, of no value, have been found over the years.

I still have not had the opportunity to detect the property. The detector to which I have access has been deemed non-functional. A large majority of the place was detected several years ago by my father. I am sure that if there is anything there, it would only be found by accident and luck. I know that just because one person has gone over a place, even multiple times, it does not mean that there is nothing there.

My father is still alive and active and is looking at new detectors, which of course will be comandeered for this project. I am personally a little too broke to be acquiring much of anything.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas. I will definitely detect the tree itself as well as the surrounding area and maybe even direct lines out from each side of the 'V' for a few hundred yards.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
KK, the title of this thread is "Civil War Cache / Marker". Can you at least acknowledge how such a title could mislead readers
into thinking it was indeed a Civil War Cache? In fact it has nothing to do with the War. I could post "Red River War Cache"
and describe how some lost soul told me he was searching for a cache on my land in the Texas Panhandle and therefore I
could call that yarn "Red River War Cache / Marker'' even though it had no connection whatsoever with Colonel McKenzie's
subjuction of the Comanche Nation.

K

Kentucky Kache

KK, the title of this thread is "Civil War Cache / Marker". Can you at least acknowledge how such a title could mislead readers
into thinking it was indeed a Civil War Cache? In fact it has nothing to do with the War. I could post "Red River War Cache"
and describe how some lost soul told me he was searching for a cache on my land in the Texas Panhandle and therefore I
could call that yarn "Red River War Cache / Marker'' even though it had no connection whatsoever with Colonel McKenzie's
subjuction of the Comanche Nation.

I think he cleared things up by saying it's a Civil War ERA cache. A Civil War era cache, buried in an area that was a hot bed for War activity...seems to have a decent possibility of being War related. But a cache is a cache, so what does it really matter?

Slim30, I hope you get a chance to detect for this, and I'm looking forward to the updates.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
KK, I think "Civil War/KGC" posts should be about those subjects but if you think it's OK to tack up CW on any ordinary cache
story so be it. "Era" was in the text but not in the title. Accuracy is crucial to treasure research. For instance you probably have
a Civil War folder in your library. Would you put this yarn in that file? :laughing7:

K

Kentucky Kache

KK, I think "Civil War/KGC" posts should be about those subjects but if you think it's OK to tack up CW on any ordinary cache
story so be it. "Era" was in the text but not in the title. Accuracy is crucial to treasure research. For instance you probably have
a Civil War folder in your library. Would you put this yarn in that file? :laughing7:

I might put it in a Civil War folder as a possibility, I don't know. The fact is, we don't know if it's a War cache or not. I just don't think it's all that important what the guy calls it, as long as it's a cache lead worth following through on. Yes, there could be times when researching that you would need to know whether or not it was cached by a soldier. But in general, I wouldn't think it matters all that much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread