Civil War Camp Cistern; Do I or not?

Oilfield Diver

Aug 25, 2011
Republic of Texas
My Civil War/Indian War fort/camp cistern. Do I make the "dive" or not? Is it worth the hassle? What could be in there? About 15 feet deep, 10 feet in diameter. Has about 5 foot of water in it. I can see large rocks in the bottom that were dropped in and a few "modern" trash items. I would have to salvage these first to get them out of the way. Looks to have an inch or so layer of dirt or algae covering everything on the bottom. I was thinking of pumping as much water out as possible. The hole is narrow, a ladder may fit the widest part of the width but may not leave enough room for me to squeeze through. Its not bad smelling, but musty and dank. I can only imagine the myriad of 150 year old opportunistic hungry bacteria just waiting for a host down in there. Any suggestions or hints of what may be in there or tips on doing the job? Thx.

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 696
Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if it doesn't smell real dirty, it may have a natural flow under it, in which case it could be a serious problem. make sure you have a dive buddy and another way to get back out, like a rope tied to a tree, because the ladder might keep going down.
above all else use extreme caution. good luck and let us know what you find

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like poured concrete .. I think it is probably much later than the Civil War. At any rate, before you go down pour a gallon or two of bleach in it and let it sit for a day or two. Also, I would use a rope ladder instead of a regular ladder.

OP
OP
Oilfield Diver

Oilfield Diver

Aug 25, 2011
Republic of Texas
Thanks Sniffer, valuable info you mentioned. An old-timer here has told me of other cisterns around here that have flow and that an aquifer is under the area. I certainly will have a few strong standbys' topside, with a line connected to my top harness D ring in case I need to be hauled out. If we do this and it is successful, we will do a few more of the other cisterns in the area.

Kreskol, there is no doubt about the era, age of this property, dwellings, cisterns, etc. The poured concrete you see was done after the turn of the century. You can see the original chiseled stone underneath it. To make things more interesting, rumors of CW gold in a tunnel - and as the legend goes - the opening of it was rumored to be on my land. It also was rumored to be covered over around the turn of the century for safety reasons. I uncovered what might be it, looks to be another poured concrete cap. This could be the opening. I plan to get a front end loader to lift it. (I don't think it is though).

Attachments

• s1a.jpg
    s1a.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 686

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't get a pump out there,try using a 5 gallon plastic bucket(with some holes drilled in it,so it won't be as heavy), and either a rope or chain tied around the handle, and a strong back.Also a strong magnet on a rope . Remember to show your finds.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is no question in my mind - if that were me, I'd get in there as quick as I could - with precautions, of course. Some things I'd consider:

1 - if time allows, have the water tested.
2 - the bleach idea is a good one - or pool chlorine.
3 - definitely have a buddy close by with a safety rope, etc.
4 - make sure you don't have any open cuts on your body.
5 - don't splash and get in your eyes or nose - remember the amoeba threat. A scuba mask might not be a bad idea.
6 - wear some protective gloves.

We all know how folks throw things in wells and other places like this - coins for wishes, etc. I think its got great potential - definitely worth the effort.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
If you get it pumped, how about a video camera, or some other sort of thing like a security camera--available at Harbor Freight at a very affordable price. May not be too effective, but if it is.........................

Harbor Freight--you owe me another 20% off coupon. What, you do that for everyone?

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd fish it with a strong magnet first and see what kind of iron comes up. Then decide if any iron relics come up what to do next by their age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread