Civil War camping area

Tarheel boys

Jan 14, 2008
Southeastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, White's Classic II
Out with Comisoas today for some detecting in the Goldsboro area. Our first stop was a Civil War camping ground. This area has been picked over many times by detectors. Comisoas has had pretty good luck here finding Civil War bullets as well as some buttons. He came away with a few items he needed to clean up to identify and I was lucky enough to find what we believe is a type of fastener for their uniforms or equipment. He has found a few like this one.
After a couple of hours we tried our luck at some older homes out in the country but did not find anything worthwhile. I appreciate you taking me out Comisoas... looking forward to a few more outings soon.
If anyone has any Identification for this ... (fastener)?? ... feel free to let me know. I will also post in the ID section. These two pictures were the best I had taken... can take more if needed. Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• P1280015.JPG
    P1280015.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 386
  • P1280016.JPG
    P1280016.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
It's a rivet. If you hunt around the old spots, you'll find plenty. I know they really make my detector go nuts. They were used to hold all kinds of stuff together. Frequently used on tack.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definetley CW THB...and definetley "rivet's" but they were also reffered to as "stud's,mainly for the pack's and such.Nice find,any piece from the CW is a true piece of American History.......HH!!

OP
OP
Tarheel boys

Tarheel boys

Jan 14, 2008
Southeastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, White's Classic II
civilman1 said:
Definetley CW THB...and definetley "rivet's" but they were also reffered to as "stud's,mainly for the pack's and such.Nice find,any piece from the CW is a true piece of American History.......HH!!

Thanks... I was pretty excited about this find. Am new to the hunt and have been looking so forward to finding something with some history and some AGE!!! My oldest coins so far have been in the 60's... so this was nice!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread