Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across this newspaper article on my local Treasure Hunting Club web page. The question is often asked if Civil War ordinance is dangerous and I have seen posts saying that it is not as it is deteriorated after all these years. Read and heed. This should answer that question once and for all! Monty Well, all I could get to come up was the header for the Dalton GA Daily, so I will paraphrase it.

The critically injured person is a well known Civil War memorabilia collector who was trying to remove the powder from a cannon ball. He apparently was drilling a hole in it when it exploded, tearing off most of the roof over the room and spreading shrapnel for about 300 ft. His grandson was also seriously injured. The collector himself is in grave condition in a local hospital. The bomb squad was called and found several other pieces of unexploded ordinance.

Upvote 0

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
Thats pretty sad. He was trying to defuse a parrot shell. They also came in and took all of his shells included already difused ones and destroyed everything.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
FrankTM said:
Does anyone jnow what his current status or his grandson is?

Frank

This is the latest I've read on Monty's club website as of 8/23/06

-- Lawrence has now been moved to the Siskin Hospital Rehab Center in Chattanooga and is in a wheel chair and starting rehab. I understand that they are actually getting him up some now. He is more and more conscious and some tell me that he is speaking one or two words at a time, while others tell me that he is just muttering - not words. Good News -- I just learned from Dr. Blackwell that Lawrence IS speaking words. They are considering removing his trach so that Lawrence can actually begin eating. I understand that the surgery to put the plate in his head has been pushed back because of his continued improvement and not wanting to interrupt that. He still has the feeding tube and is handling that well. Many of the other injuries including burns and so forth are getting better also - but Lawrence still has a long - long way to go. He is definitely a warrior !!! -- Let's please not forget him.}

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread