Civil War digs in Virginia Pt. 2

U

umrgolf

Broke free for 3 hours today :hello2: I'm rushing this post so I can go meet up with the "friend" :wink:
Again feel free to chime in with any I.d.'ing help HH Jeff

3 different types of .50 caliber bullets, 2 .44 cal pistol shot, .36 colt?
IMG_0206.JPG

all three have a different base
IMG_0207.JPG

mushroomed .50 cal, carved pistol bullet, carved .50 cal
IMG_0210.JPG

have no clue ???
IMG_0211.JPG

couple button backs, 2 flat buttons, tent grommet, some kind of ring :icon_scratch:
IMG_0212.JPG

Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd say you are definitely back in the groove. More great relics. The ribbed brass strip in the bottom of the last pic looks like it came from an officer's uniform. WTG & HH.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

thanks for the i.d. nova, and vol, I was thinking that was part of the shoulder scale :dontknow:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
thanks for the i.d. nova, and vol, I was thinking that was part of the shoulder scale :dontknow:
That ribbed brass piece is a double row shoulder strap relic from a Union Officer's uniform as shown in Crouch's book on page 176. Great find. I found a piece of a Yankee Lt.'s shoulder strap a few years ago. These are rare to recover. HH.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The first bullet is a sharps. By the size of the hole it looks like it should have a teat in the cavity. The second looks like a sharps that has been carved on and had the cavity carved out. The 3rd looks like Star carbine but almost looks like it had rings on the side which would mean it isn't Possibly another carved on sharps. The bottom bullet looks to have diagonal lines along the bottom. If so it is a Watervliet Arsenal. They are similar to a colt but are bit longer and the noses aren't as rounded. Most have flat bases but some do have small holes in the base. The other's were right on with the brass pieces.
I might actually get to go tomorrow. The snow is mostly gone and only my forearm is now all shades of blue, purple and black.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Union camp is producing some nice stuff. How are U doing this wit one arm in recovery ??? :o . Like the bat wing carbine sling piece , decent relics ,fine assortment of ammo ! 50's Crackerjack ring :icon_scratch: Get back to your friend . Don't forget colonial reales are out there 2 . CMD

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks again for the help guys.. Dawg I know there is more colonial stuff to be had but sometimes I enjoy finding and learning about the CW stuff.. I used to only coin hunt but a lot has changed about what interests me in the last couple months :-) and as far as the one arm thing, I just have to switch arms every ten min or so :thumbsup:

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a link to a picture of what the batwing looked like on the carbine sling itself. There should be one of the carbine sling buckles close by to where you found the batwing....I'd beat the crap out of that place and see if I could find it.

http://www.midtenrelics.com/nondug/carbineslngrig.JPG

WTG on the digs!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems you are getting on some new sites. :icon_thumleft: I agree with CMDawg, you live in a great area for Colonial coins. I know of some guys in Southern Virginia who have dug Hammered coins, so they are out there. I can see some with your name on it. Dig deep and flip that Colonial dirt around. :wink:

Keep the passion high and heal up soon, bud. :headbang:

Kirk

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Kirk PA said:
It seems you are getting on some new sites. :icon_thumleft: I agree with CMDawg, you live in a great area for Colonial coins. I know of some guys in Southern Virginia who have dug Hammered coins, so they are out there. I can see some with your name on it. Dig deep and flip that Colonial dirt around. :wink:

Kirk

Thanks crash, that picture was definitely helpful, I really had no idea what I found... Kirk, I will get back into the "colonial swinging" soon. Sometimes I like to change it up and save a few Civil war relics but I still enjoy the colonial stuff a little more. I hope you guys get to get out soon. I really hope I get into some hammered silver or cobs this spring :thumbsup:

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Thanks crash, that picture was definitely helpful, I really had no idea what I found... Kirk, I will get back into the "colonial swinging" soon. Sometimes I like to change it up and save a few Civil war relics but I still enjoy the colonial stuff a little more. I hope you guys get to get out soon. I really hope I get into some hammered silver or cobs this spring :thumbsup:

No problemoe! Anytime I can help!
:wave:

penniesmine

Jan 17, 2010
Low Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC/ Fisher F-75 Special Edittion LTD Black Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds jeff, find more. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions