Civil War digs in Virginia

U

umrgolf

Ok, this is my first "real" post in over 2 months. The elbow surgery has had me sidelined for a while now but it was feeling ok today so I decided to head down to one of my trusty Civil war camps :) (here's a pic of the scar, 1st reply http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,303480.0.html) .. Got a few I've never seen, so feel free to help I.d. a couple of the finds. Feels good to be back :thumbsup: HH Jeff

This field had a couple thousand union cavalry troops camped out, for how long I have no idea :dontknow:
IMG_0159.JPG

.44 colt revolver bullet?, .50 caliber unknown bullet, 5 unknown pistol shot??
IMG_0199.JPG

2 button backs, 1 general service cuff, 99% sure the "star" button is post civil war (2 piece iron back)
IMG_0202.JPG

Brass items on top and bottom are unknown??, possible carved Gardiner?, 2 Harris casings, clay pipe stem, chewed 3 ringer
IMG_0204.JPG

Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs :icon_thumleft: like the star.. MR TUFF

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Looks like you had a good day. On the bullets The smaller pistols are colts and look to be .36 caliber The .44 caliber is a sage, some people call them Remingtons. If the bigger bullet has no rings on the side but has one around the bottom and a flat base it is a star carbine. The brass hooks are both field pack hooks. The bottom one had a disc soldered on the short piece. Most have the disc to the side of the hook but I have dug some with it in line like that one was.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I forgot to mention. The star button is mid 1900's or so. I've gotten a ton of those things, nondug, in groups of military buttons I've bought. I don't think they are military though.

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
what a knowledge that vayyank is...those pics are great for us members not in the usa...I personally love my history and relic hunting ..so to see things like I find but shots of the fields where they camped is brilliant...must do it myself instead of just the finds...tanfastic...des

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Nice awsome finds Jeff. You should of ask the ones following you around and looking over your shoulder at what you was doing how long they was there. They might of scribbled the answer in the dirt. :laughing7: J/K
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They were there long enough to lose some good finds for the right person.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

First, knightwalker please enlighten me as to what that meant ??? Thanks to you all and vayank, like Des said, u are an incredible wealth of knowledge.. Thank you and the .50 cal is just like u described, one ring at the bottom with a flat base

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
First, knightwalker please enlighten me as to what that meant ??? Thanks to you all and vayank, like Des said, u are an incredible wealth of knowledge.. Thank you and the .50 cal is just like u described, one ring at the bottom with a flat base

Ghostly CW Soldiers Jeff, I think is what he meant. Great Finds and glad to see ya back in the field.

Nova Treasure

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Hey Jeff the CW finds look good. The field looks like the perfect campsite for a huge amount of soldiers . Glad to see your back in action . :read2: Doc say's , detecting is great therapy . Don't get too wild out there .. :laughing7: CMD

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Ah! Thanks nova :laughing9: and CMD, did u see my post from 2 nites ago in my daily snapshot?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Ah! Thanks nova :laughing9: and CMD, did u see my post from 2 nites ago in my daily snapshot?
Check it out :D ,NICE family ,did you mangia down ??? Veal scallopini and some Dom Perione 84 ;D

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! where in VA are you digging with NO SNOW?

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Hutch911 said:
Nice finds! where in VA are you digging with NO SNOW?

Haha, se va.. Haven't had snow for over a month :thumbsup:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
you are having some good hunts Jeff despite the surgery. I'm hoping to get out today finally, at the beach.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

cntrydncr1 said:
you are having some good hunts Jeff despite the surgery. I'm hoping to get out today finally, at the beach.

well good luck Deb! I want to see something better than what you found at the beach last year, if its even possible :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
Way to go on the CW relics. Great stuff. :thumbsup:
By the looks of that place, you'll be busy for a long time. :wink:
Here's a few pictures of the brass knapsack items that VAYANK ID'd for you.
Looking forward to seeing your next haul,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 653
  • MVC-107S.JPG
    MVC-107S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 646

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see you are back out and digging Jeff. You found some very nice relics too. Vayank is correct on the knpsack hook. I attached a pic of a Union CW site that Dman and I hunted in the last couple of years. The only knapsack hooks I found there were minus the discs. Dman found the only hook with a disc. I guess CW parts had quality problems too. Looking forward to more posts from you, Quindy.

Attachments

• Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 647
  • Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 628

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread