mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm posting this for a friend. He has a collection of civil war related papers that was given to him years ago. He was a civil war re-enactor so his friend knew he would appreciate these items. Among them is this discharge paper from July of 1865. Written on top are all the different places this soldier was during his term. My friend has quite a bit of different civil war period paperwork and other things on this soldier including old tintype photographs. Aside from the historical value, how much would this be valued at if he had to sell. Sorry for the poor picture quality, time for a better camera. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN4630-001.JPG
    DSCN4630-001.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 453

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look the papers over carefully - Try to find the unit, and the date of enlistment , you might even be able to track the guy down since some states have the , War of Northern Aggression unit rosters on line

My next step would be to look at the battles

The history of the unit and where the unit went would bring up the value greatly

I have a set from the 20th Maine -- from gettysburg on till the discharge date - Stuff like that increases the value

Also have a set from the 150 NY vol, who were part of the Atlanta action

The 20TH Maine cost me $80.00 about 16 years ago

The 15O NY cost $40.00 about 11 years ago

TRY NOT TO FOLD THEM Keep them flat between acid free backing

Also as always E BAY is a good bench mark for any pricing

Enjoy the history

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can clearly see that he's from company D of the New Jersey volunteers. I can't read the unit though i have his full name. Thanks for the reply, i'll pass it along to him.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Now find more paper information like pension papers and hopefully some personal items from the person whom served and bundle them . As a collection of a individual with other items much more than you inspect can be made at auction . There are other auctions other than Ebay and I sit it and see what else can be found before selling the one piece you have . IMHO , Woodstock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread