Civil War era finds?

wodens

Apr 22, 2008
Hi guys ;D

I was out on Sunday with my buddy in an area that has produced a officers sword plate and several different union buttons here in NH. We are thinking that this area might have been a staging area for NH troops. I found two buckles and need some opinions. The area is in and around a cellar hole of unknown origin in the woods next to a long abandoned road.

The brass whatsit is a strange one....is it off a gun or musket? It looks so familiar to me!

Thanks
Al

Attachments

• Buckles 001.JPG
    Buckles 001.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 950
  • Buckles 002.JPG
    Buckles 002.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 939
  • Brass whatsit 001.jpg
    Brass whatsit 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 927
  • Brass whatsit 002.jpg
    Brass whatsit 002.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 933

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Alan I got to thinking that perhaps the brass thing is part of a trigger mechanism?

Peeber

Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
I can't tell if that is a notch on the one end or a broken loop or hole like the one on the opposite end. If it used to be a complet hole or loop I would say it is the side plate opposite the lock on a muzzle loading rifle.

OP
OP
W

wodens

Apr 22, 2008
Thanks to the guys that responded to my post...Peeber the open end is not a broken hoop rather a sort of open end. It was def made to be that way. I know you guys find civil war period buckles too....have you dug or seen any like the Brass and Iron one? I was thinking off a pack maybe?

all the best
Al

May 10, 2009
The brass whatsit is a broken left side plate to an old musket. The end with the two points on it are the remains of the hole the lock screw when through.

Peeber

Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
That's what I thought Southerngunner, but they say it is a notch, not a broken hole. I have to agree that most side plates I have seen do not have those sharp shoulders in the curve. However I do not believe it is a cylinder indexing arm from a revlover. Way too big for any of those I have seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread