Civil war era?

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
This flat button I found about 3 weeks ago and have been doing some research on it and came up with nothing. The eagle is on the back of the button and the button is the exact size of a U.S. nickle. Where the shank used to be it appears to be a sheild on eagles chest.Has anyone ever seen an eagle on the back of a flat button like this. the front might have has something on it but is long gone now. There are stars like * above and below the eagle. Hopefully someone here can help me. The button does have a makers mark but can make it out completely. I am so curious about this button. Thanks for looking.
NJ Marty

NJ Marty IMG_0051 (Small).JPG IMG_0053 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0051 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0051 (Small).JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0053 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0053 (Medium).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Marty I wish I could help you out on this one,My buddy found one similar to this but it didn't (the Eagle) cover the entire back....Hope some one can help you out on this one,I'm curious myself.....Thank's for sharing,I'll try and find something out here,Nice Find!!! :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildrider is correct. And I think the place that looks like a shield was just where the shank was on the button. Front is likely plain. I've seen these before--in the What Is It threads--and I believe the eagle is the backmark in and of itself. I don't think they're military-related.

Regards,

Buckleboy

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a somewhat similar one that I found in a CS campsite. The front is smooth and I think I can make out the word BEST on the back but it also looks like it could be HE _Y. I love to find buttons but sometimes they can worry the heck out you trying to date and id them! Nice find!
Mike

Attachments

• Flat button with eagle (Medium).jpg
    Flat button with eagle (Medium).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 344

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I seen one on E-bay not to long ago but I can't find it now.But as i can remember they said that it was civil war era.If i find it I will post it.A very nice find.

fortbball9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread