Civil war finds!

blademaker

Jul 29, 2013
Santa Fe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

My detecting interest started with an old stake and ring detector my Dad had picked up at work that we would mess with. The old detector had died about five years ago and I have been wanting a replacement for a while. I got back into detecting last April when I went and bought a Bounty hunter 2200.

Starting with the BH i went to a spot that we used to hunt with my dads detector, the spot is very trashy with lots of lead sealed cans that would set the old detector off every few inches in some spots. With the BH discriminating out iron I could kind of search but it would still go off a bit much. one evening as the sun was going down I was looking around and got a coin signal on the BH. I dug down about six inches and pulled what looked like a badge from the ground, I stuck it in my pocket and went on for a bit more and got another good signal and dug up what I thought was a scope ring or some kind of car part.

When I got home I pulled out the badge first and read Allegheny arsenal 1863. I looked it up and was shocked to find that it was civil war. The ring turned out to be the outside of a pocket watch. I went back to the spot the next day and found the Sharps shells.

The BH was ok for a while but I wanted something better so I found a barely used Whites DFX. It took a while to learn it and to figure out how to search the area without going nuts digging every nail and can there. I finally found a program that seems to work, Sunday I went out and searched for a few hours. I found a couple of 12 gauge head stamps and then I hit an iffy signal and dug down a bit and found a broken clasp that looked like a snake. Once again when I was able to find info on it I was shocked to see that it was also civil war and that it was a confederate sword hanger.

When I got back into detecting I never expected to make any finds like these in the area I am searching. I figured maybe some old coins and I knew I would find iron relics but didn't expect the area to turn out to most likely be a union camp. Hopefully the spot has some more sweet finds to give up!

Thanks for looking!

cwfinds.jpg cwfinds2.jpg cwfinds3.jpg cwfinds4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X