Civil War gun part?

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in a Civil War Cavalry camp, it appears to have a percussion nipple on it. I be leave its part of a gun, but it is a strange looking part if it is :icon_scratch: If anyone on here recognizes it, please let me know.
Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 98
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 90
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 84
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry . I could be wrong.
It looks like an old 'Valve' of some type that was once "Dove-Tailed" into Something but usually from what I've seen usually contain some sort of brass.
Maybe you can post it on the What is it Forum.
Davers

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Automotive brake piece? :dontknow:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm taking a risk and going on record as saying I was highly skeptical at first, but that IS a percussion nipple. If it isn't, it's a dead-ringer for one. That "dovetail" was common on non-military breeches of some muzzle-loaders. Particularly shotguns. Now why in the heck would there be that protrusion directly OPPOSITE the nipple, and what is the threaded area where you would expect the barrel to be, and what is the central "teet" sticking out?!? All that to say, I am clueless . . . but that percussion nipple and the dovetail def make me think of a muzzle-loader of some type. I know some experimental "screw" barrels were made, but nothing I know of looks like that! Put it in "What Is It?" and put "Cannonball Guy" in the subject line. I am intrigued!In the image below, there is a screw breach WITH A DOVETAIL between the barrel and the rear tang.
images.jpeg

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh wait. I GET IT Modern Miner. That nipple could be a BLEEDER nipple. Hmmmm. In the words of Gilda Radner as Rosanne Roseanna Danna . . . "Never Mind."

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely looks like a muzzle loading rifle breach plug. Although it isn't like any of the ones that I've seen. I'd guess it was a civilian rifle.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is what used to be known as a "patent breach plug". The small diameter round thing sticking out of the threaded portion is a broken off ramrod or some other piece of metal that was accidentally or intentionally stuck in the hole that is there. It wouldn't function for it's intended purpose with that hole plugged up, it doesn't belong there.

Further the boss or large projection sticking down looks to have a threaded hole in it. I think it safe to assume that a screw went in there to attach the the assembled barrel to the stock.

The nipple is mounted in the center of the breach plug and makes me wonder if it was a lock that was center mounted in the stock instead of on the side as is most often seen.

Just guessing it was for a single barrel shotgun.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage brake proportioning valve would be my guess. Most newer proportioning valves are brass, but some of the older ones were made from cast iron.

OP
OP
peanut

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is for sure a gun part, not a brake part. I am in the process of researching it some more. Can anyone tell me how to put it over on the what is it section?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is for sure a gun part, not a brake part. I am in the process of researching it some more. Can anyone tell me how to put it over on the what is it section?

Glad to hear you have figured it out. I think you just have to start a new post in the what is it forum.
Good luck & congrats, :thumbsup:
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread