ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oilseed rape & barley harvest has begun.:occasion14:

....but we needed to finish the 10 acre grind field & that's what we did in just less than 2 hours. It produced 3 spectacle buckles & a few buttons.

After lunch we managed another 1 hour in a nearby field in the near 30 heat.:tongue1:

My best find was my first hammered Halfcrown (only got 1 other that Cru'Dad found) of Charles I. Civil war period, 1643-44 minted in York. Shame its broken but I'll take it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upvote 21

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice find Cru, Do the bullets happen to be Enfeild types?
Hard for me to tell size in the pictures.
Thanks

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how it's been in my neck of the woods for about the past month. Still gotta press on

Attachments

• 1468881040585.jpg
    1468881040585.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice find Cru, Do the bullets happen to be Enfeild types?
Hard for me to tell size in the pictures.
Thanks

Sorry, no idea, the bullets are pretty small.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's something you don't see every day :thumbsup:,is it debased :dontknow:

SS

Yes, its bebased & there were lots of counterfeits of these, but I accidently dropped it in the sink & it sounded more silver than base metal. Most fakes were plated or not as high silver content. So a kind of halfway house.

Civil War would make them skimp on the silver I would think.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great relic hunt! :notworthy:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader: What's your thoughts on the half-crown's cut. Was is cut to make change or did it come from a plow strike? I'm researching the recovery of some small, thin, hammered silver coins dating from the late 17th century that have been found on the East Coast in the U.S. Most of the coins have been found in New England and consist of fragments. I assumed that the coins were susceptible to plow damage because of the thin planchets for the coins or a particular purity of silver content. Most of the fragmented coins appear to have a jagged edge likely resulting from a plow strike, but half on one coin with a slightly jagged edge was found in a coin spill pocket. It was definitely cut to make change. It's edge was only slightly jagged. How can you tell if a coin was cut or simply damaged from plowing? ????????? Thank you.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader: What's your thoughts on the half-crown's cut. Was is cut to make change or did it come from a plow strike? I'm researching the recovery of some small, thin, hammered silver coins dating from the late 17th century that have been found on the East Coast in the U.S. Most of the coins have been found in New England and consist of fragments. I assumed that the coins were susceptible to plow damage because of the thin planchets for the coins or a particular purity of silver content. Most of the fragmented coins appear to have a jagged edge likely resulting from a plow strike, but half on one coin with a slightly jagged edge was found in a coin spill pocket. It was definitely cut to make change. It's edge was only slightly jagged. How can you tell if a coin was cut or simply damaged from plowing? ????????? Thank you.
This is a break, not a cut, how it got broken is speculation, but plough is very likely.(Will search for the other half in later years, got other priorities right now) Also, I have never seen these large denominations ever cut in the UK. No need to make change in the highest levels of society.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread