May 7, 2013
Palestine, AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am new to metal detecting and I am wondering where you go to find civil war site in different towns. I am mainly looking for civil war history in Arkansas, mainly the eastern part of the state. I didn't know if there was a website or certain kinds of books I need to read up on. Anything you can tell me will help, I have searched all over the internet but I must not be searching for the right thing. Thanks

Upvote 0

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A useful tool is look on the web under your state and see if they have a website for all their roadside historical markers.
If you can find such a site for your state, it will give you some leads as to where action within a general area.
Check out the signs ( here in GA ) you can actually read the Marker on line, Get info like what units, ect, where they were advancing to ect.
Then RESEARCH < RESEARCH RESEARCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
RESEARCH is 90% of this hobby, Makes no difference if you have a $300 Acer to a Thousand dollar top of the line , , If you dont know where to look , Its a waste of time , unless your into POPTOP TABs
Good lLuck

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep research, research. Go to your local used book store and get some books on the battles or camp grounds of your state/area. the books usually give detailed information on where exactly to look. Good luck and HH

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are pretty lucky here in Georgia, Since General Sherman had done his military internship , as a civil engineer , here in Georgia
His route from TN to Atlanta and then his march to the sea, pretty much followed the routes of the current major interstate highways
But again RESEARCH , in many ways I like the research so much more than the digging when you find your target site

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Goldnrelics mentions be careful about property permission ---------------------------

But the CW was VERY FLUID , The area next to a marked historical battleground Can be just as productive as the field itself

Also look for WATER , near a site , ( brook stream ) always good since the need for water always caused traffic in the area around it

You have been given some basic tools Now develop a plan

Let us know how it goes

Good Luck

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And of course be careful as sites designated as nationally historical is normally off limits to relic hunters.
A man in VA was sentenced to 366 days in prison and ordered to pay restitution of over $7000. Civil War relic thief engaged in 'heartbreaking' destruction - U.S. News

FROM GA: METAL DETECTING, ARCHAEOLOGY SITES, AND THE LAW
METAL DETECTING, ARCHAEOLOGY SITES, AND THE LAW
Laws pertaining to private lands distinguish between surface collecting (picking up objects laying on top of the ground) and any ground-disturbing, or digging for artifacts. Laws pertaining to state and federal lands do not distinguish between surface collecting and any type of digging for artifacts.

Private property

It is legal to collect artifacts from the surface of private property, IF you have written permission from the landowner. Be sure not to trespass, though.

On private land, it is legal to dig or metal detect for artifacts IF you have written permission from the landowner, and IF you have notified the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in writing five (5) business days before you begin. This includes all ground-disturbing activities, including on Civil War sites.

It is generally illegal to dig human burials and/or collect human skeletal remains or burial objects. Additionally, it is unlawful to receive, retain, dispose of, or possess any human body part (including bones), knowing it to have been removed from a grave unlawfully.

State property

To surface collect, metal detect, or to legally dig on any state property, you must have a permit from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. State property includes state parks, historic sites, wildlife management areas, and state forests, as well as state highway rights-of way, navigable river and stream bottoms, and the Atlantic coast all the way to the three mile limit.

Federal property

Generally, it is illegal to surface collect, metal detect, or dig on any federal lands without a federal permit. Federal lands in Georgia include Corps of Engineers lakes and the lands around them managed by the Corps, U.S. Forests, National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, and military bases.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check the Official Records(the O.R.'s) they are on line too. When you start searching in the O.R.'s type in the name of the place specifically like Pea Ridge, Arkansas. Any place that is a swimming hole on any river or creek that is remotely close to a battle field or camp ground was guarded and watched. I find mini balls and such in every swimming hole I have looked in down here in south Arkansas. I wasn't looking for CW stuff I was using my water detector looking for jewelry and such...d2

arkansas hunter

Jun 30, 2013
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
At pro/Garrett GTI 1500/Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find a place or an idea of a place send me a message and I'll do some research on it....ill hunt with you im from NW arkansas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread