Civil War Hutsite Digging

diggerbob

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2004
I posted the following under "Techniques" and no replies. I was hoping that in the "Civil War" forum, someone might be able to shed some light on this.
"I have most recently read several articles on civil war relic hunting where they were digging hutsites at civil war campsites. I was wondering if anybody out there could give me some pointers or articles to read that would help with the ease of locating these hutsites. I would assume that no matter where the soldiers camped that it would probably be standard practice to dig these. I have several campsites that I have been hunting for the past 10+ years (and still find an occasional target) but I know that these hutsites should exist here. As far as I can tell, nobody in this area and at these campsites have done any excavating. I would like to make locating a hutsite a little easier as not to dig a bunch of holes all over the field. Any help would be appreciated!"
Thanks in advance.
Diggerbob

Upvote 0

jaken

Aug 26, 2004
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue & Gray and MineLab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can get some infromation about hut diggin' on a little website I set up for just that purpose. Go to www.varelichunter.com and scroll down to the "Hut Diggin' 101" page.

You need to remember that Civil War soldiers usually only dug "huts" when they were settled in for an extended stay for the winter. I don't know where you live, but if the climate wasn't cold, they probably just used tents pitched on the surface.

I also make and sell "bottle probes" which are very useful in locating "huts"

Good luck diggerbob...............huts are a blast, just like opening up a time capsule!

OP
OP
D

diggerbob

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2004
Actually, this camp area was used throughout the whole war by both armies and this particular town boasts the most "change of hands" during the civil war, not sure of the exact amount right now. Yes, it was used during the winter because I have read about some of it in the ORs, and believe me, here in western MD. and WV we get a lot of snow and cold weather. Thanks for the tip and I will look at your site.
Diggerbob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread