CIVIL WAR ID TAG!!!

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this belonging to a Lorenz Krauss. Best find ever for me. Fighting the nats and mosquitos, I prevailed in saving history! 20170423_172005.jpg
20170423_171954.jpg
20170423_185008.jpg

Upvote 33

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
was it found near the battle site area near orange Virginia by any chance ? --if so he might have lost it at the spot you found it at while being man handled during capture ... as such t would be a highly unique bit of civil war history .. to know the exact spot a certain civil war soldier was taken prisoner with "proof" of it would be awesome..

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
OK NOW TO DO THE HISTORY FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM --

Lorenz Krauss -- enlisted in the NY 15 reg. company I heavy artillery at NYC on August 24th , 1863 as a Pvt. for a term of 3 years ...he was taken as a POW on may 1st , 1864 at the battle of the wilderness. (Orange, Virginia ) . he was later on paroled -- and was finally discharged in Washington D.C from the General hospital July 14th , 1865

Thats cool and ironic mine was joseph weed 6th new hampshire volunteers company b. He was married on my bday dec 7th , enlisted on dec 7th, was wounded during battle of wilderness virginia captured during said battle. I have drskeletal diagrams showing where minnie ball entered chest nicked top of left lung and exited just under bottom of left shoulder blade. He recovered and was discharged on. Thats right dec 7th. It doesnt get more personal than recovering an id disc. I tried to find decendants but was unsuccessful.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
was your disc found as well in the area of the wilderness battle area -- if so your maybe too was torn off during the struggle of being captured ... I sure these men fought to try and get away wounded or not

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was your disc found as well in the area of the wilderness battle area -- if so your maybe too was torn off during the struggle of being captured ... I sure these men fought to try and get away wounded or not

Where I found this the Battle in that area had occurred before he enlisted. I believe he lost it just before the Battle of the Wilderness.

feldgrau23

Greenie
Apr 14, 2017
West Virginia Hampshire County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 1-D/505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ihatepoisonivy,, first of all,, awesome find. Second i may have missed it but did you find that on the wilderness battlefield? I only ask because my parents live on part of the battlefield and are also members of the Orange County Historical Society and might be able to help with returning the disc to the family if you would like to go that route.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ihatepoisonivy,, first of all,, awesome find. Second i may have missed it but did you find that on the wilderness battlefield? I only ask because my parents live on part of the battlefield and are also members of the Orange County Historical Society and might be able to help with returning the disc to the family if you would like to go that route.

I didn't find it on the Wilderness,closer towards Hagerstown .I am curious if their are any living relatives. I may gift it one day if they' are bit for know I plan to hang on to it for a while. We need to go metal detecting sometime, I haven't done anything around the Wilderness before. I am trying to find a picture of this soldier.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was it found near the battle site area near orange Virginia by any chance ? --if so he might have lost it at the spot you found it at while being man handled during capture ... as such t would be a highly unique bit of civil war history .. to know the exact spot a certain civil war soldier was taken prisoner with "proof" of it would be awesome..

Unfortunately where I found leaves me to believe he lost it before the Battle of the Wilderness

DirtyMike&Tab

Apr 4, 2017
Fenwick Island, De & Harper's Ferry, Wv
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Mx Sport, & At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! Great job. That's not a very common style of tag and it's in rather good condition. If it were mine (and this is my personal opinion) I would leave that beautiful I'd tag as it is. And I wouldn't put anymore water on it. The stamped side is very delicate. And any corrosion can demolish the detail in the stamps. Awesome, awesome, awesome!

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtyMike 5381634 said:
Excellent find! Great job. That's not a very common style of tag and it's in rather good condition. If it were mine (and this is my personal opinion) I would leave that beautiful I'd tag as it is. And I wouldn't put anymore water on it. The stamped side is very delicate. And any corrosion can demolish the detail in the stamps. Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Thank you! I'm sorta pissed at myself as it was much prettier when I dug it, I washed some of the silver plating away. Pretty sad but still very nice.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
with him being taken POW on may 1 .1864 and the actual battle of the wilderness taking place may 5 thru the 7th .. he was taken prisoner before the battle occurred ... as they were enroute to the battlefield most likely --so it is highly possible it was lost during the scuffle of being taken prisoner

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT DOSE IT I AINT GOING DETECTING ANYMORE LIKE ELL I AINT , NICE TAG AND FINDS<

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A survivor of Andersonville, impressive.
I wouldn't mince with exact dates too much, was such a tangled affair for both sides. He was captured in the Wilderness, stands to reason he wasn't hustled south immediately. Both sides no doubt had crude field accommodations for POW, no telling exactly when he was evacuated south.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful recovery. Well worth the mosquitos and whatever else you had to deal with during a great search.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with him being taken POW on may 1 .1864 and the actual battle of the wilderness taking place may 5 thru the 7th .. he was taken prisoner before the battle occurred ... as they were enroute to the battlefield most likely --so it is highly possible it was lost during the scuffle of being taken prisoner

Very possible

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A survivor of Andersonville, impressive.
I wouldn't mince with exact dates too much, was such a tangled affair for both sides. He was captured in the Wilderness, stands to reason he wasn't hustled south immediately. Both sides no doubt had crude field accommodations for POW, no telling exactly when he was evacuated south.

I had know clue he was a survivor of Andersonville prison! Great info.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still looking for a photo. Wanted to enlarge photo with ID inside frame. Any help is appreciated. My resources and ability to find certain things aren't so good. Thank You

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread