Civil War Officer Buckle? Antique shop find...Any thoughts Gents?

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would anybody know any details about this buckle, I noticed it had 6 pointed stars, can't seem to find much..found one similar that states it was a infantry officers buckle....any ideas? I assume it's copper and not brass since the patina is green.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423795411.386366.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423795434.247325.jpg

Upvote 7

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a regulation Model 1851 sword belt plate. Its in incredible shape. I can't tell you much else. I'm not an expert but many different styles, patterns, and varieties exist and many different companies made them.

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHAA "I hate poison ivy" nice name man. I hate it to.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, it does have that larger hook tab on the back like those...

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that is in excellent shape!!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think ResVa hit it! Nice buckle!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It "looks good"... but fakes and forgeries are very good as well.
The experts here should be able to sort it out.
great find if real.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a dug officers saber belt plate, and a nice one at that. The wider tongue indicates that it was made about mid war or later. Did you buy it?

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always thought the Officer's plates had the soldered on silver wreath. Am I off base there?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the other way around Parsonwalker, the enlisted mans plates had the soldered on wreaths, the officers wreaths were cast as one piece with the plate.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure that anyone would fake a common plate like this. It might be a replica that someone aged to make it look older... The tongue on the back doesn't look right for a CW period plate.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that was possible about the tongue on the back but I have seen a few buckles dug with wide tongs as well. I haven't bought it yet but I think I am Fullstock.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I don't see a lot of are the 6 pointed stars. Only seen one dug with those.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Lots of examples of wide-tongue, cast-wreath ("officers") Eagle plates were manuafactured in the 1863-65 period (see "American Military Belt Plates" by O'Donnell & Campbell, 1996). This style was also continue when new regs came out in 1874. Yours is dead original, and most likely from the 1863-65 period. Nice score!

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gents for the feedback, always appreciate everyone's personal and professional evaluation.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's the other way around Parsonwalker, the enlisted mans plates had the soldered on wreaths, the officers wreaths were cast as one piece with the plate.

Well Danged if I didn't learn something today. I've been wrong before tho. Once, in 1972, I thought I was wrong . . . but I was actually right, so I was wrong in thinking I wasn't right.

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that was possible about the tongue on the back but I have seen a few buckles dug with wide tongs as well. I haven't bought it yet but I think I am Fullstock.

My son bought a plate, identical to this one, several years ago from a well known CW dealer. It did not have the belt keeper with it and we tried, to no avail, to find the matching keeper online and at CW relic shows. We had more than one dealer tell us it was a late war production and one who swore it was post-war. So, some time later I was going through boxes of relics I had dug and guess what; yep, there was a belt keeper I had dug years earlier in a Union CW camp that was occupied from 1862-1865. It is a perfect, and I mean like it was made exactly for our plate, match. To get to the point, I can say with great certainty that these plates were used during the war, although nowhere near, or to the extent, as the narrow tongues or the applied wreaths. Hope this helps.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread