Civil War prison camp finds!!

Pvt.Mongoose

Sep 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Upstate New York not far from Elmira where during the Civil War there was a prison camp that held over 12,000 Confederate prisoners. This is the first and only place so far I have hunted and these were the items I found my second time there. The first piece I dug was a rail road tie. It was about 4 inches down. I'm not sure of the age of it but I know that there are no tracks near this area nor was there during the Civil War. So I am wondering if it could of possibly been used in the construction of the camp walls. The second piece is what I believe to be a canteen half. Its pretty beat up and I did not think much of it at first but later on the way to the car I was looking it over and thought maybe it could be a canteen half. I took it home and I compared it a dug canteen half I bought years ago and it seemed pretty close to me. The size and diameter would of matched perfectly if it was not all knarled up. I put some pics of the piece I dug with the canteen half that I had so you can see what I am talking about. I'm not sure if it is a canteen half 100% but I like the idea that it could be lol. If anyone can provide me with a little more input on it would be greatly appreciated. IMG_5344.JPG IMG_5345.JPG IMG_5346.JPG IMG_5347.JPG

Upvote 1

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i used to live in one of the Officers Quarters for the Elmira prison Camp at 616 Wisner Ave....if they catch you digging on that side of the Dike...there could be trouble...they don`t allow digging in the Flood Plane...so watch out !
Gary

OP
OP
P

Pvt.Mongoose

Sep 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I figured it would be best to stay away from the dike. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread