Civil war relics dug on 1-1&2

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Civil war relics dug on 1-1&2

Yesterday I started digging the pit that I found a few days ago. I didn't have time to finish so went back today. The temp was a balmy 25 but the windchill at 5 to 10 made it more bearable to be out. I dug quite a few pieces of clay pipes, a couple broken tombac buttons and a melted 3 ringer from the pit as well as some different claws and teeth. It's not unusual to find cow and horse bones in civil war pits But I have no idea what these guys were eating or smoking :laughing7: After I finished the pit I decided to hunt around a bit and dug the bullets a .58 mini, Sharps carbine, .58 Gardner, .44 Sage, .36 colt & .36 roundball. The small white thing by the quarter in the last pic is, no lie, a piece of egg shell. If anyone has any idea what the claws and /or teeth might be from feel free to let me know. The only thing I really know is that the girl at the store didn't shed them. At least she said she didn't

Attachments

• 11&2 10.jpg
    11&2 10.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,975
  • teeth2.jpg
    teeth2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,702
  • teeth4.jpg
    teeth4.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,264
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Civil war relics dug on 1-1&2

Twenty five? :P It's official. I'm a sissy. :D Good gosh, I just can't function when it's that cold out. Maybe I need to swap my flip flops for insulated boots? :dontknow: :laughing7:

Way to go on those finds! :icon_pirat: Keep warm!

Nana :wink:

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds vayank!! I thought about getting out today!! Key word there is "thought" just a little too cold for me!! :laughing7:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds and looking at the teeth and claws my quess is nice size black bear .

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great relics, I havnt found any teeth yet.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool, Wild Boar/Pig :icon_thumright: Nice diet :) (teeth2 picture)

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vayank54 said:
Yesterday I started digging the pit that I found a few days ago. I didn't have time to finish so went back today. The temp was a balmy 25 but the windchill at 5 to 10 made it more bearable to be out. I dug quite a few pieces of clay pipes, a couple broken tombac buttons and a melted 3 ringer from the pit as well as some different claws and teeth. It's not unusual to find cow and horse bones in civil war pits But I have no idea what these guys were eating or smoking :laughing7: After I finished the pit I decided to hunt around a bit and dug the bullets a .58 mini, Sharps carbine, .58 Gardner, .44 Sage, .36 colt & .36 roundball. The small white thing by the quarter in the last pic is, no lie, a piece of egg shell. If anyone has any idea what the claws and /or teeth might be from feel free to let me know. The only thing I really know is that the girl at the store didn't shed them. At least she said she didn't

the teeth....... they're from a gator!!! HAHAHA lololololol

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

You are hard core to be out in 25 degree weather. Congrats on the nice finds. Try to stay warm. Hopefully I will be out hunting next week.
Dman

OP
OP
vayank54

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

thanks guys. I was out a bit yesterday and the ground in the woods was getting a crust on it. Not good. I may have another pit at that same site and am going back today and see if it pans out

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vayank54 said:

The long ones look like pieces of Boar teeth to me and probably the small ones too:wink: I've often found them around sites.Very NICE assortment of bullets there Yank :wink: Keep digging it out there's bound to be some more finds in the floor of the hut and if there is one there...more than likely there's more! Great finds love the pipe with the art on it....

OP
OP
vayank54

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

Thanks guys. A couple people said they thought some of the teeth might be boar teeth. There were some in this area. There were still a few around here in the '70's I haven't seen any for quite sometime though. All of the pits I've dug have been burn pits with no huts. I dug another one today and got a button back and a burnt NYcuff. Oh well you never know.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like you have a good location! Keep it up!

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds. Keep us posted. Sounds like your working a nice camp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread