Civil War research from the Harpers Weekly

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Civil War research from the Harper's Weekly

This is some what of a northern biased publication but still very informational all the same. It was printed weekly throughout the entire civil war. You can actually get a good idea of locations that certain things happened.

If anyone else has anything similiar to this feel free to share on this thread.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/

Enjoy

Clay

Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Civil War research from the Harper's Weekly

There was a very large, hardbound book published in the late 1980s or so entitled, The Harper's Weekly Periodical History of the Civil War, by Guernsey and Alden. The cover price was $49.95 and I got mine on sale on a clearance table at an Oklahoma City book store, for $10 in about 1992ish. This book is a compilation of the issues of HW's weekly articles published during the CW---including some excellent maps. It is 12"x15" about 2 and 1/2 inches thick. Probably meant as a "coffee table" book that didn't become popular. ;D My gain.

If you get the chance to pick up this book or any reprints of CW articles Harper's published, grab them. The articles were usually written by authors, in the field after they witnessed the battles. The drawings were normally done by artists who were "there".

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Civil War research from the Harper's Weekly

Nice info Clay....Thank's!!

Top Member Reactions