Civil War Research Pays Off !!

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Today I finally got to get out and scout a new area that I have been doing a lot of research on. Since it has been so hot, I have been researching some battles and skirmishes close to home and found an area where a battle took place over 2 days. Both Confederates and the Blue Boys had an artillery duel going and a couple thousand troops including Calvarly. The first scouting trip turned up only a horseshoe, but after more research we realized that we should start in another locatin based on reports of the battle and the range of artillery.

Bamm! First hit was a piece of shrapnel, seems to be a 12pd borman. We also found an interesting iron cleaver. Looks like Civil War era as well, musket balls, and some other "what are theys". One piece has an intrigiung curve to it that with some wishfull thinking could be a piece of a musket.

Now we know where to begin next time out. I am positive more to be found as we only spent about an hour there. I am hoping my buddies Ronin and Sentinel join me next time. I owe them since Ronin has taken me to a few of his spots and last time out I got lost in the woods. Ha Ha Sentinel talked me out on a radio we were all carying. Another funny story

When I am referring to we, I am including my good friend and co worker Larry who grew up in Suffolk and has a lot of connections. He has recieved permission for us to hunt on an actual battlefield located on a private farm. Oh my I can't wait. As soon as the corn comes down. I am getting him hooked. I let him use my Ace 250 since I have purchased my Minelab SE. Stay tuned for pics.

Attachments

• DSC04897.JPG
    DSC04897.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 496
  • DSC04906.JPG
    DSC04906.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC04907.JPG
    DSC04907.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC04908.JPG
    DSC04908.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC04909.JPG
    DSC04909.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Whip.
Your research paid off. Looks like you got a great group of guys to MD with.
Looking forward to your next post.
-MM-

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great start! Good luck and HH, Mike

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Ahh, research and a trip to the site And The Winner Is Whippetdog! Good luck on your hunt, it sounds promising. HH

Desertfox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread