Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was metal detecting at a early 1800’s-1920’s homestead which throughout the years has had Civil War soldiers sent to capture Confederate sympathizers camp outside, the Mormon battalion camped there, and a lot more occurred. You might remember my post about how I found a Civil War revolver cylinder if not it has a lot of history of the site so here is the old post: I found this awesome Cylinder to a revolver near a Civil War skirmish site and a Civil War trail in San Diego California. Here is a little back story: In San Diego there were many Confederate sympathizers and in 1861 16 Confederate soldiers ran into some Union soldiers on there way to San Diego (Remember this was before San Diego was widely populated so if you saw a homestead near a river, which is where I found this, you would most likely stop to have a drink of water and rest) a small skirmish pursued but the Union ended up capturing the Confederates. I found this not far from the battle site. After looking over hundreds of different revolvers the only one that was a match was a Confederate .36 caliber revolver. ( you have to remember that Civil War relics are insanely hard to find in California so this is a amazing find for me) it was found over 14 inches deep.

Today: I went back there. I was finding some old relics but I never thought something like this would ever happen. I got the signal and I looked down and saw something sticking out of the ground, I pulled it out, and after a second of looking at it I knew that it was the back to a revolver. I went to look to see if the cylinder and the barrel were there so I swung my detector over the hole and there was still something so I dug down a few inches and out popped the cylinder and the barrel. After some research I found out that it is a 1860 army issue colt revolver!! I never thought I would find a gun and much less a Civil War revolver in California!!

**UPDATE**

I was looking over the gun and I found that the owner of the gun carved his initials (T B) into the brass piece!!

I just found out that it was shipped to Capt. R. H. K. Whitely Governor's Island, NY in 1862!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623880.922434.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623880.922434.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623894.439543.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623894.439543.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 624
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623906.979351.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623906.979351.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 658
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623919.957281.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623919.957281.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 614
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623930.890886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623930.890886.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 653
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623940.407098.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623940.407098.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 632
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623948.775033.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519623948.775033.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Upvote 129

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I saw one for sale in the same condition for $1595

Actually, if you shopped it to *just* the right crowd, who factors in provenance, it could fetch as much or more. That is, ... if you cared to spill the beans to history/western enthusiasts with knowledge of that spots provenance. And while I don't think they could "make any stink" about where you found it, yet .... you know the drill: Someone could say you "bothered earthworms" or blah blah blah. So .... holler at me if you decide to sell or donate to the museum.

OP
OP
hbru123

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, if you shopped it to *just* the right crowd, who factors in provenance, it could fetch as much or more. That is, ... if you cared to spill the beans to history/western enthusiasts with knowledge of that spots provenance. And while I don't think they could "make any stink" about where you found it, yet .... you know the drill: Someone could say you "bothered earthworms" or blah blah blah. So .... holler at me if you decide to sell or donate to the museum.

I agree, I will definitely let you know what I do, I think I would rather have it in a museum where its stories could be told instead of selling it and having no idea where its going.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I saw one for sale in the same condition for $1595

Asking prices and sold prices are two very different things. One can ask all they want for something, but is anyone willing to pay it?

Best way to price it out is to check antique firearms auctions (hammer prices), else it's purely a guess.
Same thing goes for price guides, their simply a guide, I have a lot of antiques I'd dearly love to sell to the price guides, I'd be rich :headbang:

OP
OP
hbru123

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Asking prices and sold prices are two very different things. One can ask all they want for something, but is anyone willing to pay it?

Best way to price it out is to check antique firearms auctions (hammer prices), else it's purely a guess.
Same thing goes for price guides, their simply a guide, I have a lot of antiques I'd dearly love to sell to the price guides, I'd be rich :headbang:

True, I will definitely look that up.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on banner

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see it up top. Congratulations!

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Hayden! Congrats on the Banner goes without saying but I will say it anyway CONGRATULATIONS!!! You do your research, you put in the time and effort and it looks like it is paying off in spades...good job.

Are you liking the Eq 600 ? I ordered and paid for my 800 in Dec. and still don't have it... wah wah snivel snivel.

Any word from Mark?

OP
OP
hbru123

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find Hayden! Congrats on the Banner goes without saying but I will say it anyway CONGRATULATIONS!!! You do your research, you put in the time and effort and it looks like it is paying off in spades...good job.

Are you liking the Eq 600 ? I ordered and paid for my 800 in Dec. and still don't have it... wah wah snivel snivel.

Any word from Mark?

Thanks so much! I am loving it! So far my favorite mode for relic hunting is Park 2, Recovery speed 6 (3 on the 600), 2 tone, iron bias 2 (1 on the 600). I have still not heard from him, I hope he is ok.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Asking prices and sold prices are two very different things. One can ask all they want for something, but is anyone willing to pay it? ...

Agreed. There are a lot of vintage firearm buffs/collectors out there, with no shortage of selections to choose to buy from. And scores of nice choices that are in non-dug (and even functional) condition. So I don't see any reason why this would would fetch high dollars. Unless it were simply one-of-which very few examples exist on the collector market (I have not done my research on this particular one to know).

But, in md'ing, as we all relish: The provenance is irreplaceable. Like a golfer's "hole in one", or a snow skier's triple back flip: There's no way to put a "price" on it.

OP
OP
hbru123

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed. There are a lot of vintage firearm buffs/collectors out there, with no shortage of selections to choose to buy from. And scores of nice choices that are in non-dug (and even functional) condition. So I don't see any reason why this would would fetch high dollars. Unless it were simply one-of-which very few examples exist on the collector market (I have not done my research on this particular one to know).

But, in md'ing, as we all relish: The provenance is irreplaceable. Like a golfer's "hole in one", or a snow skier's triple back flip: There's no way to put a "price" on it.

Definitely true. Sometimes the story behind it is worth more than the value.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found another of the exact same guns in the same excavated condition selling for $1595

I was goona reply at the end but ; IMO that amount of money is "Chump Change" your revolver with the 'real' story & History is almost Priceless.

Glad It made it up top , else I never may have seen it .
Great Job .
Davers

P.S. IMO
Your a great person to thank everybody who posted concerning your find.
No need to reply to mine , I know you appreciate it.

AWESOME HISTORICAL FIND & IN CA!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATS ON YOUR BANNER!!!!! :occasion14:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
finally glad to see this on top if only that pistol could talk the stories it could tell

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's just not fair

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GIVE THAT MAN A PRIZE...

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY!

I just opened TNET and was taken aback when I saw the newest addition to the banner. That is just incredible! Congrats!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Banner! Well deserved!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions