Civil War SILVER! And brass . . . and lead . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the SECOND time I've missed my chance to hit the good field at the Union camp between crops. Beans were cut while I was out of the country, and when I got back . . . cover crop was already in. So I hit the briar thickets and fought brush and overgrowth all day. A scattering of bullets, camp lead, a broken button and an iron buckle frame was all I had to show for the scratches until about 3:30.

DSCN2088.JPG

Then I found an Eagle cuff button, then 5 feet away I got a signal, kicked the leaves aside and the signal moved. Normally I would walk away, assuming it was a .22 casing or shotgun shell under the leaves. But it was so loud, I followed it. This 1861 half-dime was on TOP of the ground, just under the leaves. Amazing to me. Thick woods, never cultivated, 150 years later, on TOP of the ground. Wow. Funny thing - in three years of hunting this camp, I've found only 3 coins. All have been this type (Is this what's called a "seated"??), all have been dimes or half dimes, and all have been 1861. Weird.

DSCN2091.JPG DSCN2092.JPG

Three feet from THAT I dug a 3-ring bullet and found this bottle neck while digging. A few more feet and out pops an Eagle coat button.

DSCN2093.JPG

You better believe I SCOURED that area, but I never got another signal. Good day for me . . . Happy Thanksgiving everybody . . .

DSCN2094.JPG

Upvote 35

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil war silver, lead and brass... :thumbsup:

Hope you are able to get in a trash pit or hut there close to the spot since you found a nice bottle neck. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread