Civil war sites-NC, Short lists

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In 1861, wooden barracks were built at newport by the Confederates. They were used all winter so there should be plenty of dropped items.

Chowan Co.,1863, Confederates captured a fort near the town of Edenton on the banks of the Chowan River. They burned it. Could be some good pickings in the dark soil.

Four battles were fought near Bachelors Creek,Nov.11,1862, May23,1863, Feb.1&31864, and May26,1864. With that much action in one place there should be something there.

Dulpin Co., During Stonemans raid on April 3&11 1865, skirmishes took place at Salen and Shallow Ford near where the Yadkin River bridge is today. That location should be easy to pin down.

Hope this info helps. Frank
PS: I can see that some are reading this. I would appreciate it if you could validate or void this info for the other guys. Thanks

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
In 1861, wooden barracks were built at newport by the Confederates. They were used all winter so there should be plenty of dropped items.

Chowan Co.,1863, Confederates captured a fort near the town of Edenton on the banks of the Chowan River. They burned it. Could be some good pickings in the dark soil.

Four battles were fought near Bachelors Creek,Nov.11,1862, May23,1863, Feb.1&31864, and May26,1864. With that much action in one place there should be something there.

Dulpin Co., During Stonemans raid on April 3&11 1865, skirmishes took place at Salen and Shallow Ford near where the Yadkin River bridge is today. That location should be easy to pin down.

Hope this info helps. Frank
PS: I can see that some are reading this. I would appreciate it if you could validate or void this info for the other guys. Thanks
Newport is fairly accurate. I think the location is known. Never hunted there, but have heard they have been hunted.

Duplin County is in the southeastern part of NC. Stoneman's Raid was in the western part of the state. Shallow Ford & the Yadkin River is in Davidson County.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
JWL, That was a long read. It was loaded with places to look. I wonder if it's built up around those bridges. The ford locations look good . Wonder if anything has been pulled from them. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread