Civil War Soldier Cast Lead Eagle Button!!!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To a Civil War Relic Collector finding a brass Union Army Eagle button metal detecting is really cool. Now ask that same collector what is the rarest button he or she has ever found metal detecting and you may get a different answer. NOW ask me what my rarest button find metal detecting and I will tell you about the discovery I made today. I found a Soldier Cast Civil War Eagle Button!!!! PARENTAL WARNIng for the use of the D word.

https://youtu.be/ttoJr2APjWk

I picked the button up and could see the Eagle as plain as day. The soldier must have lost his button back or was just bored and pulled a two piece button apart and poured molten lead into the front face of the button. He made himself another button. He must have used thin wire because I can see two tiny rusted pieces of wire on the back of the button. I have heard of soldiers making buttons but I have never seen one dug or dug one myself until today. This is so personal of a find to me that I think it is my favorite find of all time. To think that a soldier from the Civil War cast this button while sitting around a fire is unreal to me. I have started to try and figure out which button this is and it looks like a Union Cavalry button to me, but I am not 100% positive on the ID as yet. Thank you all for looking. Zaxfire69

Upvote 13

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zax, I have seen one of those at a local CW dealer but don't know any being dug around here. I did find a brass one with the eagle intentionally cut out. WTG, Q.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and save :icon_thumright:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, that thing is awesome!! I'm like you with personal items from a CW soilder. They are by far the best finds. I'm voting banner. Congrats

HH RN

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen one posted either. Coolest button i have ever seen posted.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are, not too many soldiers would have gone to this much trouble.I have seen lots of soldier photos where buttons are missing, most probably had more important things to worry about. Very slim numbers of these being dug today, I am sure. Banner vote going in from me.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like lead

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find sir! Personal items, whatever those may be are absolutely my favorite finds. Old coins are great, but those personal items are magnificent. Congrats.

John

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I am over the moon about this find. This has been a site where I have dug probably 20 3 ringers and 2 eagle buttons and a ton of square nails. I dug 2 three ringers right before I dug this button. I honestly wasn't going to dig the signal because I thought it was another square nail. Am I glad I did. I have heard of soldiers making things but to find one where they actually cast a button out of lead is just insane. When I dug it I thought it was a half of a roundball until I wiped some of the dirt off of it and realized that this was something that a soldier made out of an Eagle button. It is made out of lead but you can tell that they cast it using an eagle button front. Here are a few more pictures of it

I can bet I won't dig another one of these for a long time if ever.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zax, I have seen one of those at a local CW dealer but don't know any being dug around here. I did find a brass one with the eagle intentionally cut out. WTG, Q.

I am still searching the internet looking for a dug example. Buckleboy said he had seen someone dig a brass one with the eagle cut out also. You can tell this one is cast in the eagle button front half of the button. I'm still in shock..It is even the same thickness as a real eagle button. This one was down around 7 inches under root. For being close to 153 or so years old it held up well I think.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zax that's an incredible personal fund my friend. Whether this goes BANNER or not it IS a BANNER find and will always be yours

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Ahab8 you are right. I think it really is cool to find something so personal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread