Civil War soldiers match box?

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soldiers match box 1860.JPG soldiers match box 1860 rear.JPG Found at an 1800's Baptist Parsonage. Only 3" deep. My buddy Beepbeepin say's its a "Soldiers Match Box". Inside the shield it say's "Smith.S Patent Jan. 17 - 1860. Looks to be made of brass. Any other info. is greatly appreciated......:notworthy:

Upvote 7
OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still researching and not finding....any help would be appreciated....
1860 is the patent date, yes? Do we know how long these were actually in production? Would be great to know the actual date of manufacture.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very cool find!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1860 is the patent date, yes? Do we know how long these were actually in production? Would be great to know the actual date of manufacture.
Match safe's were in use in the 1850's so I dont think its the pat. for the device

beepbeepin

Aug 24, 2012
Schenevus, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They must have made more than one cover design. Mine is sorta like a Rising sun but with the same patent info. Soooo kool to think who may have owned these and what battles they may have fought in etc. We had many CW soldiers from Galway NY and I'm trying to find out the owners of this parsonage over the years to determine which if any of them served in the CW......

Sure is i dug one from a union calvary camp in Feb. I dont think I posted it here. But I rarely post my finds here anymore. Here is a link to the post.
Sunday relic dig. - Todays Digs - Just Go Detecting - Metal Detector Community

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldn't you be working sonny boy - LOL

I was waiting for you to post those finds on here. This is the info I searched before I texted fast Ed

Matchbox safes are great little relics to find.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good research beepbeep! very nice find!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug two crushed ones. Yours is in good shape compared to mine.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats great you have a positive id, makers date also, very very cool.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find.. I bet digging that up was truly exciting.. Congrats..

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how the TNET works.. like a well oiled machine !! SPETACULAR FIND! GREAT PEOPLE AT YOUR FINGER TIPS!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, what interests me is that it seems quite a lot bigger than the British versions. Did the US have bigger matches at the time??

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot everyone. To answer a few questions / comments - Yes, I was trembling a bit when I dug it and as a newbie I had no idea what it was just that it looked old. If you noticed there are two sections at the bottom that appeared to me to be waves and now that I've cleaned it up a bit those waves are actually what was covered up by the bottom section. The original brass color is there because when I dug it the bottom section flaked off (I still have that two piece section) I figure it had to still be in place until I dug because the color wasn't oxidized like the rest of the piece. Found the spring and actuating piece as well. I have no idea about the size of American matches as compared to British, sorry.

I have come to one conclusion though or maybe a few conclusions - 1. Anyone who spends the time to first research where historical properties are will find well "old stuff" he he. 2. I am very new to this wonderful hobby but I have already found my third large cent as of yesterday so all the time I've spent learning the "language" of my AT Pro is paying off now that I understand it. 3. Anyone who is listening and who wants to hunt colonial/older properties here is a hint - join your local historical preservation organization. I did and I have done a presentation of my finds in relationship to the historical property from where they were found. Guess what, I now have at least six more colonial properties to hunt and each time I'm hunting I really take my time. Why? because the longer you are there the more inquisitive the neighbors become and since I'm the friendly sort, they seem to always say yes when I ask them for permission. Of course it helps to carry my binder with all the pictures of my finds, their history etc. etc.

Just yesterday a little boy started asking questions with his mom nearby who happens to own a very nice 1800's home. Instead of brushing the little guy off I showed him what I was finding. Then his mom became interested as she is a F & I and Rev. war reenact or. I mentioned to her that I have another detector which is very basic (BH IV) and I would be glad to teach him how to MD. She and he are very excited about this and of course I just got another property..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread