Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, I live in Ocean Springs Mississippi. I am right on the Gulf of Mexico, and I am looking for any history available on Civil War Camps, fortifications, and/battlegrounds in my area.
I have always been a coinshooter, but was recently able to dig some flat buttons and Minnie balls, and now im hooked on relics.
Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated. i.e. Maps, books, websites, etc.
I have heard stories of camps and small skirmishes in my area, but not a whole lot of information was available or provided to me.
We have Ft Massachusetts on Ship island, but this area is a State Park and is off limits. There is also Blakeley State Park battlefield which is on the Mobile Bay which is also off limits. There is also Beauvoir in Biloxi (home of Jefferson Davis)= Off limits.Was really hopeing to find undisclosed areas close to Ocean Springs, Gautier, Biloxi, Pascagoula, that are not state parks, to which I might be able to gain access to.
I used to do Civil War Reenacting when I was a teenager 3rd Mississippi Co. E (Biloxi Rifles).
Even if someone could point me in the right direction to start my research, it would be a lot of help.
I would really appreciate any information from some of you more experienced treasure hunters.
Would also be interested in any club hunts in the area, and would be willing to drive.
Thank you all. If you do not want to respond here just PM me.

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quickest way to get started would be to search through the O.R.'s. Cornell university has them on their website. Google Official Records of the war of the rebellion and it should carry you to that site. Then type in a location close to where you live like a town or river and if there is or was any written records pertaining to that location you will be able to read the dispatches and records that were written. Also if there are any swimming holes on rivers around where you live more than likely, if there was a Federal or CS presence around, the swimming hole had a picket on it...d2

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quickest way to get started would be to search through the O.R.'s. Cornell university has them on their website. Google Official Records of the war of the rebellion and it should carry you to that site. Then type in a location close to where you live like a town or river and if there is or was any written records pertaining to that location you will be able to read the dispatches and records that were written. Also if there are any swimming holes on rivers around where you live more than likely, if there was a Federal or CS presence around, the swimming hole had a picket on it...d2
Thanks D2. I went to that site this morning and did find some pieces of info about certain places in my area where some activities took place. Im gona have to spend some time picking thru the website, but I believe it will be helpful. Thanks again.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2 gave u some great advice IMO.

If you are like me Computer Dumb, & can not stay Focused .

You can always search the areas around known sites (within many miles) Won't work for Islands I Guess???
I got pretty lucky im my area over the past few years , Found a Small Skirmish Site 'well what was not built on' & a Small Camp that I,m 98% sure was never hunted With a Detector at-least.

Just scout as many places as possible.
GL
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions