Civil War Sword ???

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine stopped by yesterday. . He brought with him a sword his son found near a home in Richmond Ohio. The place it was found was just off of Route 43. In 1863 John Hunt Morgan with his troops came through the area,. He was being chased by Union troops . (Morgans raiders ) My friends son was helping clear a place for a garage to be built. He happend to look down and saw the tip of what looked like a sword., he dug it up and found this sword (saber ) blade. I told him to go back with a metal detector and see if they could find the handle part.
my question is what would be the best way to clean this item up with out damaging it ? Would there be any markings on it ? Is so where should one look ?

Sword1.jpg
Sword2.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read though some of the posts on restoration. Seem there's some good methods folks have shared here on TN. That's a pretty awesome find.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK couple questions :) Arc what is the Tang area ? Also thank you ARC for your reply :)

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock I also THANK you for your reply :) WHat section are the restoration threads in. Is there a special for restoration ?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tang is the thin part at the base of the blade where the handle would be attached. If there are maker marks on a sword they will usually be at the base of the blade or on the tang itself.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Thanks Tamrock and robertk

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super Save of the Saber. If your sons friend is able to find the handle to this it would really be something. Best of luck in cleaning this and the restoration project. Well Done.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD It was my friends son that found. I talked to him on the phone and asked him if i COULD HAVE IT !! . I am not going to REPEAT what he SAID !!! LOL

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes sir, I could only imagine. Lol this was a great Save. I hope he can find the handle and the guard to this.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to need to put that through electrolysis. Attach the sword to the negative end of a car battery charger and dunk it into a 55 gallon drum full of water and a bit of washing soda and then attach the positive end of the battery charger to a sacrificial anode (piece of scrap metal) and put that into the drum opposite from the sword. Turn on the power and the rust will come off the sword, then after a day or so it can be taken out of the process, washed and further restored. Don't use a wire brush or anything on the sword as this type of sword often has details etched on the blade that will get damaged from mechanical cleaning. This is just a quick explanation of how to do this, I would recomend you seek more in depth instruction so you don't damage your piece. Good luck!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underminer thank you for your post :0 i was hoping someone would give us more input

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are also some good videos on Utube concerning the electrolysis process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread