Civil War Token

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a pic of this token. The 41st IL Inf Reg was mustered in near here with local guys. I'd like to find one of these tokens but know nothing about it. Was it made during or directly after the war? Is it old or something recent from reenactors or the centennial? I have no idea who J.C. Benton is either. Thanks for any info. Gary

41st coin.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Benton was not a soldier, but a 'sultler';a civilian merchant who sells provisions to an army in the field, in camp, or in quarters. Sutlers sold wares from the back of a wagon or a temporary tent, traveling with an army or to remote military outposts.
Look at page 8/58 here:
http://custom.buyitsellit.com/44080/civilwar-folder/civilwar5.guide.pdf
Don.......

proudscot

May 19, 2018
NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they do come up for sale occasionally. but you may have to pay over $400 for one.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Don and scot. I only found a pic of the obverse. So if JC was a sutler then this token is from the war era. I can see that it would be pricey. Gary

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don and scot. I only found a pic of the obverse. So if JC was a sutler then this token is from the war era. I can see that it would be pricey. Gary

Yes Def, in that condition

Ill look through the Tokens at my Coin Store but most are of the Patriotic type.

Will keep an eye out elsewhere to.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they do come up for sale occasionally. but you may have to pay over $400 for one.

Sorry you are correct , that token in that "pictured" condition would ; IMO fetch $400 easily ...Or more to the right buyer.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a pic of this token. The 41st IL Inf Reg was mustered in near here with local guys. I'd like to find one of these tokens but know nothing about it. Was it made during or directly after the war? Is it old or something recent from reenactors or the centennial? I have no idea who J.C. Benton is either. Thanks for any info. Gary

View attachment 1594278

Mustered near Decatur IL & suffered 225 fatalities during the war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions