717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1350 and newly added AT Pro on April 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All! Finally first day with no rain and I went downtown to the old park. Loads of clad and what-not, then this popped out from about 6" down.

I think (and feel free to enlighten me here), this is from the 118th Pennsylvania Volunteers "The Corn Exchange Regiment". Maybe a hat badge or something. Help Help!

It reads as follows:

A.S.L. Ent
Co D
118th Regt P.V.

J.N.K (small letters at the bottom)

DSC00428.JPG DSC00429.JPG DSC00431.JPG

I also forgot to post about 3 weeks back that I found a NC Sunburst button with a hole in it. I thought it was a token at first, since there was no back. But a friend helped me out and ta-da! Still a sweet find.
DSC00318.JPG

Upvote 48
OP
OP
717fly

717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Help me out guys ! I'm I right on the Penn Vol?

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awesome personal find that I am assuming is from a soldier in the CW. I am looking forward to some of our resident slueths identifying it's owner. Once this is autheniticated I will definitely be voting banner.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a awesome piece of history! Congrats on the recovery and the vote is in also.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
717fly, You have found an outstanding CW item, congratulations to you! I believe it was made after the war, for the veteran to proudly wear to gatherings and reunions. I found the following on the Company D, 118th Pennsylvania Volunteers roster:

Algernon S. S. Ent
1st Sergeant
Enlisted 8-15-62
Mustered out with his company 6-1-65

Enjoy this great piece of history! Sub 8-)
Ent.png

OP
OP
717fly

717fly

Nov 20, 2013
Middle Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my! I am floored! Truly floored. I was doing some research this morning about some other places to hunt. I'm getting frustrated hunting our land and needed a change of venue. I have been downtown before, but today felt like a good day.
I had read that our "central city park" here in Macon was a horse racing track in the early 1900's but before that it was a staging area for some of the soldiers from the civil war. I am so excited. Thank you for the above info!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, from a quick search, I did not see that the 118th PV campaigned in Georgia. However, there are military records of a George Ent living in Savannah, Georgia, so Grampa Algernon Ent may have gone a visiting down there. Algernon appearantly died in 1891.

The initials, "J. N. K." may have been a married daughter of Algernon Ent, who wore her fathers badge to a reunion-function and lost it around the turn of the century. Research Algernon Ent's genealogy for daughters with the initials "J. N." first and middle and you may have a winner. I believe the initials were added long after the badge was made for Algernon.

The 118th roster did have his second middle initial typo-errored as "S." when it should have been, "L." His entire name was Algernon Sydny Logan Ent, and his death certificate is in the state of Pennsylvania. Hope this helps! Sub 8-)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a really killer find. GL&HH.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cha-ching! Banner! Banner! Banner! Banner! Oh, did I forget....Banner!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome!!! Nothing better than a personal find. Banner for sure.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful find congrats. I found a ct militia shako plate 2 years back. You just don't see these to often.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
717Fly you know I kept looking at that badge and you got in from one of those claw machines in one of the big box stores now come on really, so I guess I should say banner ,banner heck this is a museum piece of history and the n c button is awesome also . Man I would be proud to find something like that you got my vote and the little sarcasm at the beginning I mean no harm . You have a relic that anyone would love to have.vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread