Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I have been on about 4 hunts total now. Really enjoying Metal detecting, my only complaint is finding good places that I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong while I'm swinging. I got permission to hunt an old church but the whole time I was hunting I felt like someone was going to stop and interrogate me. While there though I found a 1965 dime, when I pulled it out it was like I hit the lotto. heh. I saw 196X and I couldn't read the last number, even after I washed it it was faded and worn but sadly enough I am almost 100 percent sure it's a 65. Still was worth it, the excitement was enough. Today trying to learn my machine and playing in the yard a bit I found a 1776 quarter. So I thought, because it was very dirty and all I could see was the date. After a little washing and seeing Washingtons head I new something was off. Turned out to be a 1776-1976 bicentennial. Was still fun and a rush pulling it out of the dirt.

About the worrying feeling, while on other property hunting did any of you guys have the same feeling? I am sort of a worry wart anyhow but after all the horror stories I have read about people "trespassing" If I am not on a good friends, in-law or my property I always feel like I could get in trouble even if I got permission, or think it's a "safe" place. Today I went to a community center were I was pretty sure was ok to detect on, this was my most risky outing since I didn't get any formal permission. So after about 45 minutes to an hour and getting all kinds of trash signals I called it quits. Anyhow I would like to know if anyone else experienced this worry when they first started or if I am just too much of a worrier.

Upvote 0

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always a little different feeling in the beginning (i'v only been at it for a couple weeks now) but you'll get over it. More importantly, check your local laws and see where you actually do belong. That should make you feel 100 percent legit while metal detecting.

Good luck and enjoy!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
WayneCountyDetector said:
Well I have been on about 4 hunts total now. Really enjoying Metal detecting, my only complaint is finding good places that I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong while I'm swinging. I got permission to hunt an old church but the whole time I was hunting I felt like someone was going to stop and interrogate me. While there though I found a 1965 dime, when I pulled it out it was like I hit the lotto. heh. I saw 196X and I couldn't read the last number, even after I washed it it was faded and worn but sadly enough I am almost 100 percent sure it's a 65. Still was worth it, the excitement was enough. Today trying to learn my machine and playing in the yard a bit I found a 1776 quarter. So I thought, because it was very dirty and all I could see was the date. After a little washing and seeing Washingtons head I new something was off. Turned out to be a 1776-1976 bicentennial. Was still fun and a rush pulling it out of the dirt.

About the worrying feeling, while on other property hunting did any of you guys have the same feeling? I am sort of a worry wart anyhow but after all the horror stories I have read about people "trespassing" If I am not on a good friends, in-law or my property I always feel like I could get in trouble even if I got permission, or think it's a "safe" place. Today I went to a community center were I was pretty sure was ok to detect on, this was my most risky outing since I didn't get any formal permission. So after about 45 minutes to an hour and getting all kinds of trash signals I called it quits. Anyhow I would like to know if anyone else experienced this worry when they first started or if I am just too much of a worrier.

To me risky hunting is swinging the coil on a steep rocky hill. Don't worry about other people looking at you. To most metal detecting is a curiosity. Once a older lady came up to me and told me I was doing a good job trimming the grass.

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hehe.. Yeah I know most people are probably just wondering what's going on and not going to be mad that I am there. I just wish I didn't care so much to what they thought. I guess I will get more comfortable the more I do it.

Digginbingo

Jan 8, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt the same way the first few times i went detecting... then i found 2 silver rosies. Since then as soon as my detector is powered up my brain goes.... " SILVER SILVER SILVER" the whole time. I have literally almost walked into people because im so focused on what im doing. HA. Good luck.

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm said:
To me risky hunting is swinging the coil on a steep rocky hill. Don't worry about other people looking at you. To most metal detecting is a curiosity. Once a older lady came up to me and told me I was doing a good job trimming the grass.

HAHAHAHAHA that is sooooooo funny!!!!

crazydigger

Jan 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
WayneCountyDetector said:

You,re definitely not alone WCD. I'll bet 90 percent of us feel this way. I think it's because most detectorist's are courteous and continuos of others feelings. Best thing to do is ask when you can but if not, dig your plugs clean and leave your presence undetectable.

Crazy digger

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I do all of my detecting in the woods at old cellar holes on public land. Even then I keep a copy of the section of the law that says detecting is permitted on this public ground in a ziplock bag in my detector bag in case someone says something. having that makes me feel like I belong there like any one else.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a lady ask me if i was a surveyor while hunting my aunts property, she said cause she needs her property marked for a fence. lol some people:dontknow:

L

lost hunter

Just wear a yellow hard hat they'll think your with the utility company lol

peteacher37

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a great topic Wayne. Lets face it. Sometimes people have nothing better to do so they tell you to get lost or whatever, even if they don't own the property. I never detect on any land Im not supposed to be on. To me its just not worth it. I do this for fun and its no fun looking over your back all of the time. What changed my outlook is when I bought a can of pepper spray that I carry with me at all times. You see, I want so badly to see see how it works and can't find anybody to use it on. When I see someone looking for trouble I actually get excited. For some reason it alleviates the stress knowing I could not be so lucky! LOL Stick up for the hobby and what we all believe in no matter what other "non" detectorists think! And get a lethal can of pepper spray. Trust me, they must smell it cause no one will come near you!

crazydigger

Jan 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
peteacher37 said:
I think this is a great topic Wayne. Lets face it. Sometimes people have nothing better to do so they tell you to get lost or whatever, even if they don't own the property. I never detect on any land Im not supposed to be on. To me its just not worth it. I do this for fun and its no fun looking over your back all of the time. What changed my outlook is when I bought a can of pepper spray that I carry with me at all times. You see, I want so badly to see see how it works and can't find anybody to use it on. When I see someone looking for trouble I actually get excited. For some reason it alleviates the stress knowing I could not be so lucky! LOL Stick up for the hobby and what we all believe in no matter what other "non" detectorists think! And get a lethal can of pepper spray. Trust me, they must smell it cause no one will come near you!

I never thought of pepper spray. That's an awesome idea. Many times I wonder who might approach at a quite park. Pepper spray would definitely provide a feeling of security.

Thanks!

Crazydigger

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out on a hunt yesterday at a little field right in town, and a group of people came up to me and asked what my metal detector was. I explained it all to them, and then one of the other ladies said "So you recycle all of the metal once you find it?" I wanted to laugh so hard! But I kept a straight face and then explained to her that it was for finding coins, jewelry, and other relics. She thought I was just finding cans to then go recycle!:laughing7:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never been one bit worried when I am hunting legally or with permission.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that this is by no means a sure thing, but I am always prepared to use my camera phone to document any scary people that come near me. I point it at them then I say to the phone "That's a great cloud, (or tree) can you see it Bob? Save it for later please".
That make-shift security cam might change a mind from bad thoughts.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will share my best scary person counter with you. I was detecting at 1 of my legal to hunt public areas. The cellar hole up a large embankment of the other side of the road. When I saw a truck pull up down below. A burly man got out and started a hike directly through the woods toward me. He walked all the way to a stream right in front of him. He was looking right at me I thought he saw me definitely. Then he suddenly turned in ran back to this truck in route to retrieve a baseball bat from the bed. Then he started marching doubletime straight for me again. I was quite stunned I thought at first I should run. In a split second I decided to stand my ground to the top of the embankment I knew I stood a better chance with the high ground. Just as the man approached the stream where he turned around before. I decided to bark out a nice healthy deep loud "howdy". The guy about jumped out of his skin. He had never seen me after all. He was trapping raccoons in the stream and he had 1 in his trap. He felt obliged to explain this to me as if I was some kind of authority. I really thought I was a goner for a minute there. But we both went about our business. Me detecting and him clubbing a raccoon to death. Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Dihren said:
I was out on a hunt yesterday at a little field right in town, and a group of people came up to me and asked what my metal detector was. I explained it all to them, and then one of the other ladies said "So you recycle all of the metal once you find it?" I wanted to laugh so hard! But I kept a straight face and then explained to her that it was for finding coins, jewelry, and other relics. She thought I was just finding cans to then go recycle!:laughing7:

LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread