CLADDAGH RING UPDATE

Rooster

Apr 1, 2005
Long Island N.Y.
HEY GUYS, THIS RING IS MAKING MYSELF AND ANYONE I'VE BEEN SENDING THE PICTURES TO CONFUSED ABOUT THE ACTUAL ORIGIN AND MAKER. I'VE BEEN BACK AND FORTH WITH JEWELERS FROM IRELAND ALONG WITH MANY OF YOU FELLOW DIGGERS AND KNOWONE CAN REALLY GIVE ME A DEFFINITIVE ANSWER. HERE ARE SOME REAL GOOD PICTURES OF THE RING AND YOU CAN SEE THE MARKS ARE 10K RI JCY OR JCI OR A POSSIBLE JC AND AN ANCHOR. I REALIZE BACK THEN THE GOLD WAS 9K BUT I'M WONDERING IF RICHARD JOICE MAY HAVE MADE THIS RING IN AFRICA WHILE HE WAS BEING HELD CAPTIVE. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED. THANKS, RON

Attachments

• ring-23.jpg
    ring-23.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,187
  • ring-24.jpg
    ring-24.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,984
  • Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,543
  • ring close-up.jpg
    ring close-up.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,246
Upvote 0

carpel

Apr 30, 2005
Midwest
here is a similar type ring I found just recently

Attachments

• blu.jpg
    blu.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • blu.jpg
    blu.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,337

carpel

Apr 30, 2005
Midwest
Here is a close-up of of the lettering inside the ring I found, just a cheap version of the real one I believe.

Attachments

• bluin.jpg
    bluin.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,314
  • bluin.jpg
    bluin.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,282

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
I have one very similar in silver. two hands holding a heart with crown. will take a pic and post later

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
GoldFever said:
I bought one for my wife. It is and Italian symbol. It is supposed to represent love.

Um, no. The claddagh ring is an irish ring, some people call it an irish wedding band. Depending on who you talk to, they will say that depending on which way it faces on your finger, it can tell others if you are taken or available.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
It is Irish.? Originates in it's design from a jewler in Galway, I believe it is.?His name was Richard Joyce, as I recall.? Not that this ring originates to him, but the design and tradition, I think does. ?I posted about this before but in looking for the post, I don't seem to find it anywhere in the archives.? ?Don't know what happened to it.? I posted it in the original thread on this ring.? ?Anyway, He was kidnapped and enslaved in Africa, somewhere, where he worked for a jeweler.? Impressed with his skill and all the jeweler granted the slave his freedom and he returned to his home town in Ireland.?

The ring is named for the town in Galway, where it was first created.? Arms stretched out in an embrace for the heart.? Don't recall the significance for the crown.? ?It can be anything from a friendship or promise or committment ring to an engagement ring or even wedding ring, depending on what finger it is worn on and how.? ?I can't remember the details but if worn on the right hand it has different meaning than if worn on the left.? It also has different meaning if the crown is pointed in toward the wrist or out toward the fingers.? ?

Do a GOOGLE search on it and you will find a lot of information.? Incuding some jewelry companies in Ireland that are still making these rings and have been for hundreds of years.? ?There is also another thread on this subject, somewhere, but as I said, I can't seem? to find it.? There is one that this is a spinoff from.? I think more of the details were provided there.? Go into Search and insert Claddagh and you should find more.?

Furious

Mar 16, 2010
Dublin/Meath
Detector(s) used
underwater and Ace 250 till my MD improves :)
cryptodave said:
GoldFever said:
I bought one for my wife. It is and Italian symbol. It is supposed to represent love.

Um, no. The claddagh ring is an irish ring, some people call it an irish wedding band. Depending on who you talk to, they will say that depending on which way it faces on your finger, it can tell others if you are taken or available.

Depending on which way its facing means your either engaged or married ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread