CLAIM MARKER......

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A claim marker......seriously. Some are concrete posts, large rocks stacked together, pvc piping, and I just saw on this forum a teeny tiny glass jar, with a zinc top, lying next a trail, with a not in it giving the distance measurements from the jar indicating the claim area.

Anything that can be obviously sited as unnaturally occurring.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It depends on the State. In Arizona, they want a rock cairn 3 feet high with the paper work inside or a "1&1/2 inch by 1&1/2 inch by 4 feet above the ground pole/post".
The last seems odd until you realize that it is a "2X2 5-6 six feet long".
These are normally the center marker of the claim.
Again in Az, after filing your claim, you have 90 days to also stake the four corners and the four center points.
9 2X2s or rock cairns. A copy of your claim or the number of your claim must be attached to the 8 side/corner markers and the center marker(more or less) must include a map (drawn to the best of your ability) with your claim showing on it.
I have seen legal claim markers and 500 illegal claim markers in the field.
All of the 500 were only 3&1/2 feet high. As they were all paid for by a "large mining company", which should have known better, none were honored by the courts.
I have seen rock cairns with ziplock bags and tin tobacco cans with the claim markers in them.
yes, I put each of them back where they were.<G>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread