Claim question: How are sections surveyed?

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dealing with a protraction diagram (unsurveyed section) that one day will be surveyed.

When the surveyors start the process which corner do they start at?

I know they "push" the survey to the north and west but I can't seem to find out the exact starting point.

Have some claims I'd like to locate but want to make sure whether I should file aliquot or government lot.

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay Diggins will have a better answer, but if the area is previously unsurveyed, you'll need to record your claim(s) by meets and bounds. You'll need a good Topo map of the area, and mark your corners with distinct visual unmovable objects on the ground. You can use GPS coordinates too, but you have to identify your corners on the map.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay Diggins will have a better answer, but if the area is previously unsurveyed, you'll need to record your claim(s) by meets and bounds. You'll need a good Topo map of the area, and mark your corners with distinct visual unmovable objects on the ground. You can use GPS coordinates too, but you have to identify your corners on the map.

Waiting for Clay Diggins but your input has merit too.

I've only learned recently there is a difference between an unsurveyed section and a protraction diagram.

BLM Reno has some sharp people and they say that even with a protraction diagram you treat the section like it's going to be surveyed.

From what I understand then the eastern half of the section will be aliquot while the western end will be lotted.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Southeast corner is initially surveyed. The Northwest corner is monumented from that survey. This creates a grid within the Township where every Section has 4 corner monuments. Often, but not always, the side line centers are also surveyed and monumented to extend to protracted quarter sections.

All government lots are defined by an actual survey and monument grid. You can't "assume" a government lot exists where there has been no survey and monument.

When dealing with protracted blocks the rule is that self protraction is not reliable or useful if the nearest pin or monument is more than two miles away. For that reason the PLSS protracted blocks are just a regular grid without any attempt to assume government lots will be created. This can create odd remainder blocks but even then there will be no government lot assumed.

If you use the CadNSDI as a guide for protracted sections your location description will be recognized by the BLM. Second divisions are usually also protracted within the CadNSDI so that would be your guide to aliquot descriptions. The CadNSDI does not agree with the old 2008 PLSS grid so be careful which you use to describe locations on surveyed or unsurveyed sections.

As always the actual survey monuments on the ground are the definitive answer to where the survey lies no matter what the CadNSDI, topo or old PLSS show. When dealing with unsurveyed protracted blocks the CadNSDI is your go to for describing public lands.

If you are in an area that has not been covered by a protraction of the survey and your claim is more than 2 miles from the nearest monument you should locate by metes and bounds. (1872 Mining Act Section 10) There may be other horizontal control points than PLSS monuments that are valid for location. Look for USMM (mineral monuments), patent surveys, homestead entry surveys, townsite surveys, U.S Surveys or any other official approved survey monuments to describe your location in relation to.

This stuff can get pretty complex but there is a set of rules to describe what happens in each situation. When locating a mining claim it is a good idea to get familiar with the Mineral Survey Procedures Guide so you will know what the rules for perfection of your location entail. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Clay Diggins.

Used MyLandMatters quite a bit this week made a donation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread