Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Roberts, great post.

Thank you very much for sharing your considerable knowledge.

Lynda

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew,

First, I enjoyed the read. Packed with information! Wow!
Second, did you write this article?
And Lastly, if you in fact authored the piece, would you mind elaborating on your visit with Mitchell's daughters?

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Very informative Matthew. I love the history of the "Stones" and want to believe it, but I just have a hard time seperating fact from fiction. When individuals like yourself and Frank speak on their behalf I can't help but want to believe, then Ryan appears skeptical and so I try to listen and understand his reasoning as some of it contains logic as well. You guys have seen the stones up close and personal and that must have been a great motivational factor in your quests for the history and truth behind them. They have fascinated me for over 50 years and yet I have only seen the pictures. Great job .

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Simon it's my opinion Travis carved the stones using the Tesora Mappa as a guide. He may have had the trail maps carved. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435395984.031713.jpg

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Matthew
Exactly what I been saying all along, Now debunk Sarges claimes that Travis carved the Stone Maps and take it from there. At face value, Cause I know for a fact that Travis broke the heart stone himself because it was crusted in the trail map and didn't realize at the time it was removable till it was to late. And if the Tesora Mappa was used then why carve the Stone map Trails different. Don't make since .

Wrmickel1

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew
Exactly what I been saying all along, Now debunk Sarges claimes that Travis carved the Stone Maps and take it from there. At face value, Cause I know for a fact that Travis broke the heart stone himself because it was crusted in the trail map and didn't realize at the time it was removable till it was to late. And if the Tesora Mappa was used then why carve the Stone map Trails different. Don't make since .

Wrmickel1

Wrmickel:

Could you elaborate on your statement of;
"Cause I know for a fact that Travis broke the heart stone himself because it was crusted in the trail map "

Thanks!

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Matthew

Wrmickel1

Wayne you carve them different because you are holding back information from those your scamming with the stones

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative Matthew. I love the history of the "Stones" and want to believe it, but I just have a hard time seperating fact from fiction. When individuals like yourself and Frank speak on their behalf I can't help but want to believe, then Ryan appears skeptical and so I try to listen and understand his reasoning as some of it contains logic as well. You guys have seen the stones up close and personal and that must have been a great motivational factor in your quests for the history and truth behind them. They have fascinated me for over 50 years and yet I have only seen the pictures. Great job .

Howdy Simon,

What part would you like to have clarified?

Homar

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
geezze u just never know ya know

Wayne you carve them different because you are holding back information from those your scamming with the stones
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by wrmickel1
Matthew

Wrmickel1

Wayne you carve them different because you are holding back information from those your scamming with the stones​

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy,

I decided to step back in since this whole Stone Map thing has been getting so much action.

A lot of what I have to say about the possible origins of the Stone Maps I will save for Ryans thread.

For those two or three people that may be interested, MOEL stood for "Mining, Oil, Exploration, and Leasing". The original plan was to use the "device" to find oil and minerals, then lease out the mining and/or drilling rights.

I think the family trust issue MKR was writing about was regarding Travis' Uncle Robert. Knowledge of this rift between the two of them pretty much crashes Ryan's belief that the maps were created to get money from Robert's Landlord.

In about 1956, Travis started getting sick on and off (which eventually killed him in 1961). At this time, his Uncle Robert got the stone maps. I have to believe that Travis let Robert borrow the stone maps because he also gave Robert a piece of a map that he had also written on that showed exactly where Travis found the stone maps. This says that the Stone Maps went to Robert with Travis' blessing.

foundstonemapstum.jpg

What happens next is where things get a little murky, but knowledge of other events will let us figure this out. Sometime between when Travis let Robert take the Stone Maps and about 1960 caused a HUGE rift between Travis and his Uncle Robert. How do I know this? EASY PEASY! In 1965, Dick Peck was looking to purchase the Stone Maps. He sent several people out to find out all they could about them. He sent people to Hod River, Oregon to interview everybody they could find that knew Travis and Alleen. One of those people interviewed was Robert Tumlinson. I believe the interviewer was Elbert Love. Love stated that when he informed Robert that Travis had died in 1961, Robert had no idea. That means that Uncle Robert that had been so close that Travis trusted him with his Stone Maps hadn't spoken to Travis for AT LEAST FOUR YEARS! The only thing that could have caused such a rift would be the Stone Maps. My thought is that Robert wanted to keep the maps for good, and Travis wanted them back. Travis took them back and Robert never spoke to him again. Alleen sold them to Mitchell after Travis died. Why didn't she sell them to Robert?.....................RIFT

MKR,

You may have this answered in part deux, but I will ask this now; If Mitchell divested himself completely of MOEL in 1964, and took the Stone Maps with him, how then did the Flagg Foundation Donation Receipt show only Boyd and Ruth Cochrane as the givers in 1969?

Mike

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hey Buddy,

I decided to step back in since this whole Stone Map thing has been getting so much action.

A lot of what I have to say about the possible origins of the Stone Maps I will save for Ryans thread.

For those two or three people that may be interested, MOEL stood for "Mining, Oil, Exploration, and Leasing". The original plan was to use the "device" to find oil and minerals, then lease out the mining and/or drilling rights.

I think the family trust issue MKR was writing about was regarding Travis' Uncle Robert. Knowledge of this rift between the two of them pretty much crashes Ryan's belief that the maps were created to get money from Robert's Landlord.

In about 1956, Travis started getting sick on and off (which eventually killed him in 1961). At this time, his Uncle Robert got the stone maps. I have to believe that Travis let Robert borrow the stone maps because he also gave Robert a piece of a map that he had also written on that showed exactly where Travis found the stone maps. This says that the Stone Maps went to Robert with Travis' blessing.

View attachment 1180270

What happens next is where things get a little murky, but knowledge of other events will let us figure this out. Sometime between when Travis let Robert take the Stone Maps and about 1960 caused a HUGE rift between Travis and his Uncle Robert. How do I know this? EASY PEASY! In 1965, Dick Peck was looking to purchase the Stone Maps. He sent several people out to find out all they could about them. He sent people to Hod River, Oregon to interview everybody they could find that knew Travis and Alleen. One of those people interviewed was Robert Tumlinson. I believe the interviewer was Elbert Love. Love stated that when he informed Robert that Travis had died in 1961, Robert had no idea. That means that Uncle Robert that had been so close that Travis trusted him with his Stone Maps hadn't spoken to Travis for AT LEAST FOUR YEARS! The only thing that could have caused such a rift would be the Stone Maps. My thought is that Robert wanted to keep the maps for good, and Travis wanted them back. Travis took them back and Robert never spoke to him again. Alleen sold them to Mitchell after Travis died. Why didn't she sell them to Robert?.....................RIFT

MKR,

You may have this answered in part deux, but I will ask this now; If Mitchell divested himself completely of MOEL in 1964, and took the Stone Maps with him, how then did the Flagg Foundation Donation Receipt show only Boyd and Ruth Cochrane as the givers in 1969?

Mike

welcome back mike

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to wonder why stones were used instead of something more like a hide. When I go to the store I carry my credit/debit card, I don't take the bank with me. Just seems like alot of extra "baggage" to carry. You have extra weight, not to mention what happens if the stones fall off the mule and break into a million pieces ? Don't get me wrong, I am still in awe of the stones and feel they do play a part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread