Class ring returned

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA
Not sure if this is the spot for this, but thought it was pretty cool.

A year or so ago, I found a 1939 Pittsfield High School class ring.
When I finally got around to cleaning it, I found initials inside the band.
I contacted the school, and after a little digging, they gave me the information on the person the ring must have belonged to.

I called the only person in the phone book with that last name, and it turned out to be the nephew.
Unfortunatley, the lady had passed away around a year earlier,(little spooky because I actually found it close to the time she died.)
I will be returning the ring to the nephew this Sunday, and he will inturn, return it to the daughter.
Should be a nice token for them to remember their mom.
here are photos of the ring:

Attachments

• ring face (Medium).jpg
    ring face (Medium).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,312
  • side of ring19 (Medium).jpg
    side of ring19 (Medium).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,316
  • side of ring39 (Medium).jpg
    side of ring39 (Medium).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,320

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Class ring being returned

Well done, Iamwood! Gestures like that go a long way toward improving the image of our hobby. And believe me, the satisfaction you'll feel when you return that ring is worth far more than a little lump of gold. I've got to admit, though, it is a very handsome ring.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Job Well Done!!! There is always a silver lining to every story. I know the daughter will be so tickled to receive that ring.

Also, you mentioned you found it around the time she passed away....hmmmm...somehow I have to believe she had her hand in that and you were meant to find it. :) (I'm a big believer!)

As my son graduated 5th grade today and he said he was sorry he did not get alot of certificates (like alot of his classmates did)...I told him, "The certificates don't make the man...integrity, honesty, a good heart and soul is what a man is made of." And you have graduated with full honors too!!

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Thank you for sharing your story. People like you make me proud to be in this great hobby.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Excellent gesture! Thank You for sharing . I am sure it will mean a great deal to the daughter.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Nice find, and nice work with the return.

I too am a big believer in spirits leading people to find things.  I have to believe, because it has happened to me on many occasions.  There were a couple of times where the sensation was so incredibly strong that it was undeniable. 

I'm not trying to steal your thread, but to illustrate--one time I was 'told' to go out and find 'something silver'.  Not in the usual way like I'm out hunting for silver, this time I was being told to go and get it.  I could tell it was really important to someone.  But it was pouring down rain outside--really coming down.  But the image of this vacant lot kept forcing itself on me, and the image of finding something silver that really meant a lot to someone.  So I drove out to the lot I was seeing in my head, got out in the still pouring rain, walked to the back of the lot, picked up a sterling St. Christopher religious medal, and then went back home.  I knew instantly when I picked up the medal that someone, somewhere was very relieved.  They really, really wanted me to find that, and they wouldn't leave me alone until I went and got it.  This type of thing happens to me from time to time.

I figure that this lady knew you could not only find the ring, but would give it back to her family.  I'll bet she's thanking you right now.

jondar

Mar 20, 2006

Great job, Iamwood, I been there done that, and the look of amazement when ring was returned to the owner was worth all the work finding it.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

Did you ask him if you could hunt his yard or the mom's?

OP
OP
iamwood

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA

Not yet... I return the ring on Sunday, Then I may ask ;)

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE

Hi iamwood
I returned a class ring to its owner in March. It was an unbelievable feeling and the owner and I correspond.
Your honesty will be remembered by the family for generations.
Ironically I found a class ring last night, with fellow member JohnyMc, and I am about to post in Today's finds.
Keep up the great work.
HH
Mark G

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Really cool class ring! I bet whoever lost it was overwhelmed!!!!!!

May 22, 2006
North Wales

what a wonderful gesture you are a credit to the detecting fraternity.
looking for a ring lost by the daughter of the local farmer on land we detect would feel tremendous if we could locate after many years :)

douglas and linda :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

OP
OP
iamwood

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA

Well, it's almost home. I dropped the ring off to the nephew today. He was still astonished that it was found. He is going to return it to the daughters this week, and i put a note inside with my name and address, I will update if i hear from any of the family.

OP
OP
iamwood

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA
Should have updated this months ago!!!
In October the ring finally made it back to the daughters home.
They sent two notes of thanks to me.
Their appreciation of the ring means more than the gold it is made out of.
Happy hunting all.

Attachments

• note.jpg
    note.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 417

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread