MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

I was browsing eBay for Hobo nickles.... ??? The market is flooded with people making modern ones and Asain companies mass producing them... :BangHead: It made me really sad.. :sadsmiley: I'm having a hard time telling what ones are real. :icon_scratch: This makes it harder for me to add an original one to my collection... If you pay attention to detail, patina and design you can sort of spot original pieces. Still its really hard to spot the real ones... :BangHead:

Tell us your thoughts !! :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean! It is/was somewhat of a lost art that has now been tainted by the Asian pieces. You might want to research pieces produced by actual and recognized Hobo Nickel Artisans here in the U.S. and only purchase their' works. There was one and I believe he is still a member of Coin Talk (Coin Talk). I have seen a lot of his' pieces and they are really great. His' username is billzach and he doesn't only carve Nickels but other coins. I found pics of a few of his' works and have attached them below.

Frank

1937HoboNickel.jpg 1936HoboNickel.jpg hobocolumbianhalfdollar.jpg hobomonroeadamshalfdollar.jpg

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really want one done in from around that time period. :thumbsup: These are nice examples though, must be really expensive. :icon_scratch: Thank you for commenting ! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I really want one done in from around that time period. :thumbsup: These are nice examples though, must be really expensive. :icon_scratch: Thank you for commenting ! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

You are welcome! If my memory serves me correctly, Bill does not normally sell his' works but he will carve for others based on what the customer wants. You just need to find a way to contact him and see if he will carve a Hobo Nickel for you and what the cost will be. You should be able to contact him through Coin Talk by signing up and sending him a PM.

Good luck!

Frank

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh...what DON'T China have their hands in...seems they can't make anything of their own, so they make trillions off of copying everything the U.S. has made the last two centuries and then flooding the market...and eventually dropping values across the board. Thanks Huntsman for sharing the Hobo Nickel art...amazing! great detail and craftsmanship. ddf

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are a few more. Also, there is some information on Bill Jameson aka Bill Zach at the link below. Just scroll down to see pieces done by Bill and for more information. I must say that the pieces that the website displays, are really not the good pieces Bill has done and can do.

Gallery Mint Museum ScrapBook - Page 26

Frank

1893ColumbianHoboHalf.jpg 1957FranklinHoboHalf.jpg BritishPennyHobo.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread