Classifiers Brands Interchangeable ? ?

bigblock

Jan 8, 2011
NW GA.
I got a new Jobe classifier for Christmas (my first) and was wondering if it was stackable with other brands has anyone dealt with this or will all my classifiers have to be the same brand meaning Jobe, Garrett, etc. to stack so to save the most space so i can put them in a backpack also what size or sizes of screen do you use the most also I am a newb and glad i found this site.Thanks in advance :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bigblock,

I have a couple of different brands of classifiers. They stack ok but they do tend to stick together a little when new and of different brands but they work together ok. When in the field I use a 1/2" and 1/4" classifier before running material in a river sluice. If I am using a larger sluice like a Keene A52 I will sometimes forgo the 1/4" and run 1/2" material. Smaller sluices I always include the 1/4". You want to keep the material you are running close to the size of gold you are likely to find. I will then save my concentrates after panning and at home I will classify down to -100 mesh for further processing and gold recovery.
good luck.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
B

bigblock

Jan 8, 2011
NW GA.
Hi B H thanks for the reply the sticking i could handle my concern is space one brand states you can stack 4 classifies at a height of 6 1/4'' that would be neat for a back pack.I have some home made classifiers made from 5 gal bukets that are 1/2 1/4 and 1/8 mesh but take up a lot of room very cumbersome as most of my outings i pack everything in.Thanks again :icon_thumleft:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again Bigblock,

In m the pack I use which is an old army pack I get 3 large pans and a small pan and 2 clasifiers in the large part of the pack.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
B

bigblock

Jan 8, 2011
NW GA.
Hi B H me too i use an old alice back i got while in the service works pretty well but not large enough for the home made classifiers but did pick up a very nice one at a yard sale very large built in frame and waist belt it will be good for carring equipment but the ole back.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi bigblock,
Good luck with the internal frame backpack! Getting it adjusted to fit you properly will be the first order of business as if this is not done its likely it will not be as comfortable to use as it could be. Try looking on line for setup instructions from the manufacturer.

I like external backpack frames as I can strip the pack from the frame and then use the frame, shoulder pads and waist belt as a "freighter" frame. In this configuration "stuff" can be tied to the frame, I usually put "stuff" in some sort of burlap sack or cloth bag or duffel bag just to help from loosing things while hiking. This same idea can be applied to internal packs by tying "stuff" to the lashing straps on the outside of the pack. I should caution you that this method will allow a person to fill the insides of the pack and then strap more on the outside of the pack and in the end the entire thing is too heavy to pick up much less carry.

Try to protect the inside as well as the outside of the pack from sharp edges: shovels, sluice boxes, picks, etc I put small sharp things in old socks or apply a tough tape to the sharp edge or point. My pack has been in use now for some 15 years and is still in good shape and I've carried some horrible loads with stuff inside and strapped to the outside. It is important to take care of the pack as it allows you to carry your gear in as well as out of where you want to go. If the pack fails because the side of it rips open then your life getting all your stuff back out is not going to be fun.

Go for it! 63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread