Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody has been cleaning out their barn and donating it the local GW. Picked these up this morning. I know they are hanging face masks. But do not know if they are Aztec, Mexico, some Island culture. They are 10 - 12 inches tall. Have the holes for sting to hang on wall. About 1/2 in thick. To give some idea of the age I had to clean the spider nests out of the back. There are no marking except the TS (which will not come off). Clay or terracotta? Any help will be grateful. I did do the research but did not come of with anything that looked like these. Some modern but none with animals on them. DSC03688.JPG DSC03686.JPG

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very neat. The detail is nice. But I can't help with origin, way out of my realm.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
these are modern decorator pieces of no historic or cultural value. they were made to be hung and seen, not worn or used.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these are modern decorator pieces of no historic or cultural value. they were made to be hung and seen, not worn or used.

Do you know where they were made? Lot of wall hanging face mask but none with the animals on them. Lot of research on the internet with no success.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no, can't really tell where or when they were made but it is a fairly easy project for a ceramics class to take a basic plastic mask mold and come up with similar projects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions