Clay Trade Pipe

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few hours to kill on Friday so I went to the new spots I found this past Spring to see if they had turned either spot yet. Luckily, both spots had been turned. One is a pumpkin patch and he had turned the dead pumpkins under and I found a decent Stemmed Point there and the other spot had a section about 25 yards long by 20 yards wide where potatos had been that had been turned under and I found a killer Clay Trade Pipe there, my first whole one I have ever found.

The place I found the Stemmed Point isn't very big either and I have found 8 or 10 Points there in 3 trips and almost all of them have been Stemmed types.

The place I found the Pipe is a spot where the man grows veggies for a produce company and I found 14 Points there in 3 trips last Spring. I also found 2 Trade Pipe stems there last year.

Here's some pictures of the entire days find, an in situ of the Stemmed Point, in situs of the Pipe, pics of the Pipe right after I got to my vehicle, and a some pics after I cleaned it up.

I don't believe this Pipe is Indian associated since the site it came from has a lot of old house trash on it. You can see in the days find pictures a porcelain arm of leg from a doll and an old brass button. The guy that owns it told me that there was a house that burnt in the 80's sometime that was around 100 years old and had to be razed. There are quite a few Points found right in this same spot though, so who knows. But my guess would be early settlers. Still a cool find and my first complete one. The only thing that would have made it better was if it was one of the Face types.

Attachments

• Paul Harrell Farm (46).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (46).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Paul Harrell Farm (47).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (47).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 942
  • 100_1947.jpg
    100_1947.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 929
  • Paul Harrell Farm (42).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (42).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 993
  • Paul Harrell Farm (44).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (44).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 936
  • Paul Harrell Farm (45).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (45).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 971
  • Paul Harrell Farm (43).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (43).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Paul Harrell Farm (40).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (40).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Paul Harrell Farm (41).jpg
    Paul Harrell Farm (41).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,545
Upvote 0

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet trade pipe :icon_thumright:Is this the same one on show-n-tell page and I remember seeing one similar to this one on there?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Steve - Cool find. Finding an unbroken one in a field may be a record. I have lots of parts from fields but never a whole one.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Grim!! are you having to take extra care how you let the pipe dry, like they do with pottery. it needs that other one laying out there to go with it, go find it seance i can not. Terry

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That trade pipe is the best!! Fantastic artifact find Steve! Looks like a pipe you could smoke!

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Nice pipe you hardly ever find anything like that in Texas, I have only found part of a broken one. Great find Steve :hello2: :notworthy: :headbang: :hello:

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Whats your thoughts on this pipe piece Grim Reaper I have read about them being intentionaly broken during ceremony ?
creekfinds004-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread