LDamm

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2014
Oshkosh, WI
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to take a shot at some Wisconsin flour gold this year. Plan to build a small fluid bed sluice (mini bazooka) and a miller table.

Wondering what mesh classifiers would get me started. I'm thinking I want to classify some into the mini (at least the bigger rocks), and then classify for the table during cleanup. Looking at something like this??

Gold Rush Sifting Classifier FULL COMBO SET (½" 1/8" 1/20" 1/50" 1/100" Mesh) - Amazon.com

I can make my own 1/2 and 1/8, would I be better off with more fine mesh or is 20,50, 100 good for a start?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i use all of the above. and after classification, pan the results seperatly to take advantage of the specific weight of the particular sizes of cons.itll save you some time/energy!i even have the screens down to 200 mesh but i dont use it very much.

OP
OP
L

LDamm

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2014
Oshkosh, WI
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So the 20, 50, 100 should be fine (no pun) for a miller table?

Thanks

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
I use a 1/8, 30, and 70. It cuts down on Time and classifying is well, boring. However I use a blue bowl not a table. I have a 50 and a 100. I used all of them and noted what size gold I was mostly finding. This helped me to tune the rest of my equipment and refine my efforts.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to take a shot at some Wisconsin flour gold this year. Plan to build a small fluid bed sluice (mini bazooka) and a miller table. Wondering what mesh classifiers would get me started. I'm thinking I want to classify some into the mini (at least the bigger rocks), and then classify for the table during cleanup. Looking at something like this?? Gold Rush Sifting Classifier FULL COMBO SET (½" 1/8" 1/20" 1/50" 1/100" Mesh) - Amazon.com I can make my own 1/2 and 1/8, would I be better off with more fine mesh or is 20,50, 100 good for a start? Thanks
looks like exactly what you need and at a good price. When you get them, use a sharpie to label the size on the outside of each on several spots so it is easy to grab the one you want out of the stack. Also run a stainless steel screw thru the center of each to hold the screen and plastic under support against each other (wide mesh screens will need a washer under the screw head). They last longer that way. Final rule, only hands, rocks and plastic tools against the mesh, you don't want to break the wires or wear thru them.

OP
OP
L

LDamm

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2014
Oshkosh, WI
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like exactly what you need and at a good price. .

Thanks, I ordered them yesterday morning, and got an e-mail that it shipped that afternoon, gotta love the internet. Thanks for the tip on screwing things down.

Lee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread