Cleaned vs dirty, question?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that we are all NOT to polish & clean coins, but is there a way to reverse the process and make a coin 'soiled dirty' to make it look aged?
Reason I ask, the other day an older great-grandmother type woman gave me about 25 polished & cleaned AG Rosie's at face value. She said that they belonged to her late husband and knew that I collected coins. Nearly all were showing signs of being cleaned. My question is: is there a way or process that can be applied to make the coins look tarnished/dirty & old looking, vs the polished look. I took the coins only because of their silver value, didn't have the heart to tell the woman that "coins should not be polished" and are now ruined. Comments & or suggestions.

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question is, are any of those rosie worth more than melt value? and I dont mean the 25-50 cent premium some people charge...

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I am not aware of any way to unpolish or unclean a coin

Silver FDRs are generally worth face value unless cond is AU or better so she probably didn't ruin anything.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on what you are calling polished...They may just be uncirculated coins,;or even better, proofs.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Burying for 30 years may help.

Or place on a windowsill in the sun to encourage toning. There are other ways to accelerate artificial toning and simple internet search can give good info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread